replacement 1990 vfr750f exhaust?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by hawcer, Jul 2, 2013.

1. hawcer

hawcer New Member

Hello....I've been out of the VFR loop for a few years now, but recently picked up a 1990 to fill the void. I have previously owned a 1986 750 an a 1985 vf500 interceptor.

Anyway....Does anyone make replacement slip-ons for these anymore? I really don't want to replace the whole exhaust system, I'm just looking for a different muffler to open up the choked down tone of this bike. I had installed a really sick complete exhaust system on the vf500 that I thought woul be nice on this bike as well, but can't seem to locate the company anymore....Vortex, or something similar to that.

I have found Delkevic exhausts listed for 93 and up vfr's, but nothing older. Will one listed for a 93 possibly fit my 90?

Thanks!

2. hawcer

hawcer New Member

Well, still no luck in the exhaust department. The Delkevic for a 93 VFR apparently has a different size inlet pipe size where it connects to the collector flange.

I am thinking of finding a slip-on for a 750-1000cc bike that has the same size inlet pipe and having the end flanged out to fit the factory collector....or cut off the flange end of the factory pipe and reweld it onto the replacement slip-on pipe.

Heck...I could easily disassemble the factory muffler and re-core/repack it with a larger diameter core too...maybe even shorten it a bit.

No big hurry though...I'm still waiting for the new tires and I have alot of body work to do,lol.

3. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I looked high and low for a replacement exhaust for m 93 for a while. I went with a Delkevic headers as my stock set had seen better days. then I cut the connection off the stock midpipe, welded up a new high mount midpipe to the connector. then sourced an old Akrapovic carbon can and fashioned a hanger for it. so far so good. Definitely will take some elbow grease to get a new exhaust for a gen 3

4. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    90-93 use a flange joint with 2 bolts.

Easy way, cut the pipe just before the muffler and use a slip on from something use, OR have an adpater connector made at a muffler shop. and re-use the flange rings after they flare and bell it out on their machine.

I run a Remus Viper Carbon dual port slip on syslte with an adapter pipe.

Works great.

Larry

5. hawcer

hawcer New Member

I have a new exhaust on the way, but I was bored the other day so I took the stock muffler apart to have a look. I decided to gut it and re-fabricate the internals.

The stock pipe has two internal pipes that over lap about mid section with two baffles forming a chamber...this is all wrapped in a perforated screen and insulated with a thin piece of fiberglass. It also has a small "resonator" in the short section where the pipe exits.

I removed all the internal piping and re-rolled the "screen" to a 2" diameter and trimmed off the excess. I then drilled a 2" hole in the lower baffle and welded the screen tube in it. I left the "resonator?" tip on the exit port after cutting the rest off and slipped the other end of the screen tube over that and welded it to the ~ 2" diameter exit pipe.

Then all I had to do was re-wrap the inner screen tube with new packing and re-install it in the can. I did trim off the end of the can about 1-1/2" to remove the factory weld holes...this also was needed due to the core being a bit shorter than the factory core. Once the core was in place, I re-inserted the stainless cap and drilled two holes and riveted in place.

It sounds pretty decent really. It's still pretty quiet at an idle and starts to sound more like a formula race car at higher rpm's. Definitely better sounding than stock.

It's a shame I'll have to probably cut the inlet pipe flange off of it for use with the muffler I have coming for it....

6. Pmerli

Pmerli New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 1990VFR 750... still have the original exhaust system... but will need to replace the piping in the near future... the Kerker muffler is ok no issues... What company did you purchase the exhaust piping??

7. Crenninger

Crenninger New Member

United States
    I've got a Yoshimura slip-on - I'll PM you