replacement ignition key............

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Maliboost, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

hello folks,

I only recieved one key with my bike & would like to get a replacement ignition key for my bike. any suggestions where I would go about getting a replacement key?? I tried searching the forum, but ignition comes up with lots of folks needing help with thier ignitions & key is too short a word to search on.

thanks mucho
    bob

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    I think in '98 they went to a "chipped" type key. That means dealer only and bring your vin number.

3. Yakima9

Yakima9 New Member

United States
    I'm not sure about the '98, but I got a spare key for my '96 made. You can order the nice rubber ended blanks from Honda, then just take to an old school lock smith that cuts keys by hand (not Homedepot or Ace, they use a cartriage system to copy keys) Sometimes the lock smith will even have a blank, but it won't be a rubber ended one.

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    There are key blanks on ebay all the time.

5. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

I seem to get them for every bike i ever owned at the local lock /key places..no problem..I then hide one on the bike ..always!..and I have had to use it more than once ! Ever left your keys under the seat when you put it back on? :)

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

If you are the original owner.....every bike comes with a key code, just take the key code to the dealer and they will get you the correct key. if not, just take the key to the locksmith. I have an '06 and it doesn't have a chipped key.....

7. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I lost the key to my FZ1 a week after I got it. I had to call a locksmith and he picked the gas tank and removed the assembly and based a new key off that. Apparently there's two additional cuts for the ignition and he had to use some software to find out the cut dimensions. In about 10 minutes I had a new key.

Cost me 90 dollars BUT he took off 30 because I helped him a bit with his laptop (so 60 total).... and I ended up finding my original key two days later in my jeans.... sigh.

Chinese proverb say once, spare key now 10 dolla, 90 dollar in pocket at time later.

8. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

If the key you have is an original, it'll have a 3-digit number stamped on it (one letter & two numbers - for example: B45.) Unless your local dealer has a very expensive key copying machine (my dealer only has the slightly less expensive hand-held kind that require the code,) they will only be able to supply the blank if you don't have the code. Any decent locksmith can then cut the blank from your key. The key code is also stamped on the locking cylinder of the ignition switch, gas tank lock, and seat lock.

9. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

I need a key for my 86 vfr700, the bike didn't come with one. Bike hasn't been running in awhile...

IrrerD, if I take off the tank lock or ignition switch, the key code will be there? I called a dealer and they said they needed the key code to make a key.

What other models or years of keysets will fit the 86's? I'm thinking of buying a used set off ebay.

10. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

Lazarus, yes, the key code will be there. Please note, however, that sometimes they are stamped quite lightly and you may need a magnifying glass to read them accurately. As far as which keysets will fit, I'll have to take a look when I get to work.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Here's what a friend of mine is doing til his replacement key arrives...

[​IMG]

12. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

Lazarus, depending on your key code (the last 3 digits of what is stamped on the lock cylinders,) you have 4 options. If your code is Axx or Bxx (where xx are two numbers,) the original Honda key blank is part # 35121-KW3-771 and the generic blank is HD74. If the code is Cxx or Dxx, the Honda blank is 35122-KW3-771 and the generic is HD75. These part numbers fit such a wide range of machines, from street bikes to dirt bikes to atv's, that it would be impossible to list them all here.

13. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

well........... I called one of the local bike places yesterday & they said "bring it in, Im sure I got a blank & will cut one for you". So... I did. I took it out to the bike & it seemed to work "ok". I figured it was just new & that it would work better l8r.

when I got onto the bike this morning to goto work, I stuck my old key in it & it did not want to turn. I pulled it out & pushed it back in & wiggled it a little bit & it turned, but not as easy as it should have. I was late this morning (another story), so I just went with it & will check it out tonight when I get home.

Bob

14. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

that right there is ummmmmmmmmmmmm "special"

Bob

15. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! New Member

a picture is worth...

These are the two key blanks Honda lists in their parts fische. Neither will fit my bike as I have a special long multigrooved key from Honda.
    The one on the left is key blank type:1 part # 35121-kw3-771.
    The one on the right is key blank type:2 part # 35122-kw3-771.
    If I ever find out what the part number for the long multigrooved key that my bike uses is I will post it.

Attached Files:

16. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! New Member

sorry somehow or another I posted a picture of a spider. lets try this again.

Attached Files:

17. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

18. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

WOW. and you guys thin IM a redneck!!!

19. I'm not new

I'm not new New Member

Honda dealer told me this was on the bike somewhere. Where would it be? they can make one off the code, if it's somewhere other than on the ignition it would be convenient.

Thanks

Thanks