Returning member, 2005 VFR800A

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by OutOfCyan, Nov 17, 2017.

?

Should I put the snorkel back in?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2017.
  1. Yes. You shouldn't have to mess with the Power Commander.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but it'll definitely affect the Power Commander map.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, are you nuts?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OutOfCyan

OutOfCyan New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, my name is Blake. I've lived in Norfolk, VA since 2008 and been on a motorcycle since 2009.

I had a '91 VFR, loved it, couldn't get it to the shape I wanted (body was in poor shape, had discontinued missing parts, thermostat was stuck open, gauges weren't lit).

I ended up selling my FZ1 and R1150RT in favor of a 2005 VFR800A.

[​IMG]

Some highlights (in the blurb below, "he" refers to the previous owner):
    • All the necessary maintenance was done at 38K (bike is around 42K now) including valve lash, forks, brake caliper rebuild and fluid flush, wheel bearings, steering head bearing, etc. He didn't perform any of his own maintenance except oil changes. I have a paper history of all shop work done.
    • Forks were sent to Race Tech (I think that's what he said) at 38K. I guess they have progressive springs in them now. I'm used to linear springs. I'm going to be tweaking it for a while; it seems too soft for me right now. I feel every aberration in the streets.
    • Power Commander. He removed the snorkel but kept it. I'm considering putting it back in. I've read that air boxes are tuned for optimum efficiency so I'd hate to cheat myself out of some mid-range torque.
    • Coocase top case. It's nice, but I can't fit my work laptop in the Coocase so I might buy a Givi adapter and put my V46 w/ backrest on there. I have the V46 sitting in my garage. It's a bit too big for my SV650s.
    • OEM hard side cases.
    • RC36 rear wheel. Rims and exhaust shields were powder coated by a buddy of his who owns a professional shop.
    • Zero Gravity windscreen. It's very nice to have this when it's cold out. The air is forced up along the side of my helmet instead of hitting me in the chest. After winter riding for several years in one of those ridiculous "santa suits" (a 1-piece insulated suit), I bought a Joe Rocket jacket. It does a great job, but this definitely helps.
    Concerns, etc:
    1. The turn signals don't seem to work 100%. Sometimes there's a delay between when I press them and when they start pulsing and sometimes they cancel right away, but "left" seems to work a lot better than "right".
    2. I really need to get a rear stand for SS swingarms. I want one with the pins but hot damn are they expensive everywhere! I don't need it urgently. My front stand is a cheapie and it requires use of a rear stand with it, so I'll need it for working on the forks or removing the front wheel. They're both near 100% condition right now so I can wait.
    EDIT: Embedded a picture of the bike.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome back! Hope you can post some pictures soon.

3. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    Heyho, welcome, man!

I hope you don't mind me asking, buut:
    Do you really absolutely have to have a rear stand?
    For general maintenance and changing tires the default center stand seems to be ok (for me, at least) :D