riding jacket brand?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by astrnaughtwanabe, Dec 11, 2012.

1. astrnaughtwanabe

astrnaughtwanabe New Member

I am looking into getting my first riding jacket and what I need help with more than anything is if these brands are junk or not? I have ridden dirt for over 20 years so I know Shift and Alpinestars are decent brands but I have never heard if icon, speed and strength or some of the street only brands, so I have no idea if they are any good or not. These are some of the jackets I am looking into due to the price on closeouts or used ebay jackets. Obviously I am looking for a brighter color jacket. The shift is on the bottom of my list due to the lower amount of green but I have found the jacket for pretty cheap so it makes the list. Anybody have any favorites of these jackets? Heard any horror stories? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Speed and Strength- Trial by fire
    [​IMG]

Shift- Avenger
    [​IMG]

Icon- Overlord
    [​IMG]

Joe Rocket- Phoenix 5.0
    [​IMG]

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Stay tuned for Randy this BB's resident jacket expert for an overview. Can't say whether he likes green or not. He likes red and white, we know that.

If you have the bucks.. Aerostitch.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Icon and Joe rocket will work

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have at least 4 riding jackets, 2 as part of 2 piece riding suits (Dainese perforated/non-perforated leather) and 2 stand alone (i.e. no matching pants). The "solo" jackets are a Joe Rocket Alter Ego3 (textile) and an Alpinestars Airflo (textile). The JR AE3, which is really 2.5 jackets in one, essentially it's a mesh core jacket (1) with a removable vest liner (.5) and an outer "rain shell" (2) and has worked out great, especially during the summer months. The fit and quality seems to be good but I cannot say how well it will work in a "get off", particularly at speed and without the outer shell as an additional layer of abrasion protection. The A*, became my go to jacket after it started to get cooler and can say even in the warmer temps is still very comfortable when the removable liner is taken out, but like the JR, I cannot say how well it will perform when put to the test. That being said, I feel very safe and comfortable with both and will often ride in a more "sporting" manner wearing either. Rather than have a bright color jacket that really only "fits" when riding, I wear a orange safety vest if I'm using either for commuting in traffic, this way I can wear the jacket "casually" if I wanted to without standing out too much.

As far as the Dainese leather jackets, I have worn them without the pants and can say that I feel extremely secure in either jacket but when not worn as part of the ensemble, the jackets seem a little short at the back but I'm sure they would hold their own if and when they were ever needed to do their duty! Leather is king for abrasion protection. Although I have seen the Icon and Speed and Strength gear, I have not had any experience with them but I'm sure there are a few members who have and hopefully they will chime in too and considering they have both been around for a while, I'm sure the quality is decent at the very least.

If you're looking for good deals, you may look at MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! (great for closeout specials)

Cheers

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's not a quality gear if it's made in China !:mad:

Look at all the trendy stuff marketed to new squids (Joe Rocket, Icon, Shift, etc.)and then buy something else, something with enough integrity to last for years and something that might take a slide without busting all it's seams. Jackets are for more than just keeping the wind off.

If you want to find a good brand name, find one that's at least 10 years old.

See what's available from Johnson Leathers, SF, CA.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Why are you looking at the fluoro crap? Are you in the military?

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

8. Badbilly

United States
    I always buy the stuff with the biggest labels on the outside so I can look like those faggy dude models in the bike mags. You know, the ones who always get the chicas with big tits.

ATSGATT.. All the style all the time.

9. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Any of those jackets are better than no jacket while riding. I have two leather jackets right now and I really like them. I'm looking at getting a new jacket myself but I'm looking to get a fieldsheer that will match up with the pants I have. But the gear I really want is an aerostitch riding suit.

10. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought an icon a few years ago because I liked the flat-track style color (orange and black). They no longer make that jacket, and even that lineup (the daytonas). That being said, I really like my icon. It's a flexible, well-made jacket with good attention to detail. It has serviceable, inserted armor on the back, shoulders, and elbows. It is a good fair-weather jacket, and I've worn it comfortably with the liner and a thick sweater in short 35 degree rides, as well as long 100 degree rides (obviously with no liner etc).

Here's the kicker though: the inside pocket has a medallion of St. Christopher, patron saint of travellers, on a faub-chain in its own little mini pocket. I'm an atheist, but I was still touched when I discovered this. Maybe I'm a sucker.

Another brand I would mention, that I'm surprised I've never seen brought up on this forum, is Vanson. I used to own one that i had made to look like a 50s cafe racer jacket. I think I paid about $400 for it. In any case, Vanson will make whatever you want. It's a small, U.S. company that hand makes all their jackets. If you want to never buy a jacket again, Vanson is a good way to go. I mean, these things would survive a missile strike. The only problem is they take years (yes YEARS) to break in. But whats hilarious is they age like wine. Go find a 20 year old Vanson in good condition (and there are plenty); they sell for well over a grand most of the time.

My only hesitation would Vanson would be if you plan on racing, doing a lot of track riding, or if you ride really hard: it would be a shame to spend $600 on a nice custom jacket and then scrape the shit out of it in a few falls.

My 2 cents.

11. Durk

Durk New Member

I have that Shift Avenger Jacket. I love it.
    Liner removed, it's comfy up to the low 80s.
    Liner in and a hoodie underneath it's comfy for the high 40s.
    I thought it was discontinued though, I got mine last year when motorcycle superstore had them 70% off.

12. Badbilly

United States
    I wonder if wearing two jackets is twice as safe as wearing one jacket or three times as safe as not wearing one. Or is one fabric jacket and one leather jacket is better than two leather jackets or two fabric jackets. Which one should be on the inside and which one should be on the outside is yet another question.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Vanson, Bates, Langlitz, and the now OOB Thurlow have all been "mentioned". I like what you said about road rash on a Vanson outfit. Could you compare the cost of a full Vanson one piece suit against skin grafts of the same area. Rounding off to the nearest $.02 is fine.

Besides, leathers in a biker bar that are beat up from the leather meeting the pavement or just beating them against a phone pole and some sanding look really cool to the chicas especially if you are popping for drinks.

Somehow the leather is better in this case than fabric for effect. Some dudes go so far as to dirty up thier fabric togs with little splatters of 30 weight.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Ironically my Alpinestars jacket was made in Vietnam not Italy, but I guess since it's not China I'm good to go.

15. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Excuse me. I should have said two leather jackets I alternate between wearing. What an asshole.

16. astrnaughtwanabe

astrnaughtwanabe New Member

these jackets may be discontinued, but I am finding them on ebay or on a site's closeout section. my price range is $150 and under. so unless you guys want to pitch in $300+ dollars those fancy no emblem, non poser, not made in china so that means they are good jackets are out of the question. This jacket will get me out of a sweatshirt and I am not in the military I just feel the bright colors will be to my advantage especially since i know I am not buying the best quality jacket.

17. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You'll learn there is a lot of ball busting that goes on here wanabe. Take it with a grain of salt. Otherwise, this ain't gonna be the forum for you.

There will always be suggestions to try and get something better, even if you put a target price in (which you didn't do in your first post, by the way).

There are lots of quality manufacturers out there, and plenty of variety. I'm personally a fan of First Gear.

Someone else mentioned this above. This place gives good reviews, and their prices are in line with everyone else for the most part.

Closeouts :: MotorcycleGear.com

EDIT: There can also be big differences between mesh, textile, tex/mesh, Tex/Mex, and obviously leather. Depends on what you're looking for.

18. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I am throwing in an "outside the box" suggestion.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/37117-riding-jacket-bought-off-ebay.html

Keep in mind that my jacket is not a form fit jacket, so you should not expect that. What I did get was a good quality jacket that fits my "unusual" body type quite well. My riding pants and previous jacket are/were both Frank Thomas products and they were top notch, so I don't have a problem with going outside of the "well known" brands. FYI - Frank Thomas is a top selling brand in the UK (and Europe?) and they get their goods supplied from Pakistan. Bottom line for me is looking for good quality of materials and manufacture and my "cheap" jacket off of ebay sure turned out to be a great value.

Jose

19. Durk

Durk New Member

Yeah beware of Chinese garbage.
    I'm pretty sure the Alpinestars gloves I bought off ebay for my wife are chinese knock offs.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I have a Tour-master air intake and absolutely love it to bits. Went for a ride last Sunday in 48 F weather with just the windbreaker liner ( no thermo ) liner and was real comfy (long-sleeve shirt). Quality made JMFO