Right mirror Vibration

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Rsparky, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    I searched. Saw an 02 with the same, but not an 8th gen. So, I am posting.

It's not a "vibration", so much as the road bumps travel straight to the mirror, like it's not connected to the suspension. Most of my riding is 80 mph on the highway. My right mirror is useless. Left is clear. Only problem is I'm in the left lane. So, also, mostly useless...

Anybody else have any peculiar vibes? With a "duh" solution? I've taken the mirror apart, retightened it, taken it off, re-installed it, not much. I'm wondering if it is the ball socket itself. But I'm pretty sure while riding, I can see the stalk moving as well.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Have you tried adjusting your suspension & also look at front wheel balance

3. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Does the right mirror feel loser than the left?

4. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Found the problem. Trusting the dealer.

I bought the bike "new" but a couple years old, and had been dropped by a customer in the dealer. They pointed out the dent in the tank, and scratches on the clutch cover. And replaced the broken lean feeler. Meh.

But they also took the bolt head and threw it away. Maybe. Idk, I've had the mirrors open before, but always one at a time. Looking at both, now it is obvious.

No idea how to extract a screw from plastic, without royally fubarring everything. So, jb weld it is.

Attached Files:

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    The underlying cause does not give me a whole lot of confidence in the workshop team at that dealership. It sounds like the person initially prepping that bike went mad tightening down the mirror pivot bolts. Inherently you only want the mirror hinge bolt snugged down just enough to keep the mirror firmly in position BUT still loose enough so that in a tip over the mirror will harmlessly pivot around its hinge point - and is usually unharmed, and this also minimises the risk of damage to the mounting bolts.

As for the fix personally in this instance JB weld sounds like a sub-optimal solution. Depending on your confidence you can either take it to a shop or fix it yourself. Personally I would remove the screen and potentially sufficient fairing panels to get direct access to that bolt. Then if spanners wont work try grips to remove the offending bolt. As a last resort you could drill down the core and use a reverse thread screw extractor to pull get the bolt out.

SkiMad

6. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Wrong bolt. Not the pivot. These mirrors are three pieces. Aluminum stalk, which pivots on one side, and has two tapped holes on the other. Plastic mirror half, which has the thru holes for bolting to the stalk. This is where one of those bolts was snapped. Still don't know if I expect over torque as the oil filter is a royal pita from the factory also. (the third piece is the plastic front that snaps into both stalk and mirror assembly.)

I got so far drilling it out! Then got cocky and broke my bit off inside there. Successful fubar. Jb weld became the solution. Tim will tell if it holds. I still have the other bolt, so I'm not too concerned.

Attached Files: