Saddle Bags for an 86 VFR

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by arnie1107, Aug 2, 2008.

1. arnie1107

arnie1107 New Member

Map
    I have got an 1986 VFR and am planning on using it as my transportation daily. I am a teacher and have a laptop and a few other things to carry daily and was looking for suggestions as to some saddle bags that you have used and could recommend to me.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Arnie in GA

2. evenkeeled

evenkeeled New Member

Hey man...I just bought saddlebags and a tank bag for my 85 VF700F. They are Fieldsheer and they were GREAT on my trip to WY. Here is a picture with the bags on. If I get a chance later I'll take some pictures more close-up.

[​IMG]

3. way2faded

way2faded New Member

Map
    did you have to modify how the saddles attached? I was lookin at getting some saddle bags...but ppl said that the lights prevented them from being installed correctly... they look great on the bike

4. evenkeeled

evenkeeled New Member

No, i had them on with lights - There isn't a ton of room for your butt and legs, but I didn't have any problem with them getting in the way. They're expandable and can carry a crapload of stuff.

The best purchase was the tank bag, though. Seriously, that things fits an enormous amount of stuff and wasn't in the way at all. It zips into three pieces so you can take a small, medium, or large bag, or zip them together into to one huge one.

5. MotoMax

MotoMax New Member

United States
    Map
    1986 VFR 700/750 hard bags.

I have ridden Beemers in the past and really got used to having the lockable hard bags. I found a source for some for our bikes. They are from twistedthrottle.com and they actually fit the 88-89 european models but apparently they are only one fastener different. I ordered mine today. 3-4 weeks for delivery as they are coming from overseas, but I'll post pics when I get them on. They are the Five-Stars model and fit both Kappa and Givi monokey style cases. I am stoked!! - MotoMax

6. Jericho941

Jericho941 New Member

Was this a special order? I looked on TwistedThrottle.com and couldn't find the kit you mention.

I saw a thread on here a while back where a member had fitted the Givi Wingrack with their universal installation kit, so there is another option.

7. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    im looking for the same thing, but i kind of have an additional problem finding bags.....i want a set of saddle bags AND a rear trunk, but my bike has an aftermarket tail. is there anybody who might be able to fabricate custom hard bags for motorcycles?

8. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    How custom is the tail? does it use the same rear subframe? I bolted my rack up to the subframe, the exhaust brackets, and the rear turn signal tabs on the rear subframe.

The universal kit gives a LOT of options.

I tried ordering the 5-star kit... NO ONE would order the f'ing thing for me... So I went with the Givi universal.

Def post pics when you get it, MotoMax.

9. digdoug2

digdoug2 New Member

10. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

fly in the ointment

beware of the weakness in the attachment of the taillight on 86/87 VFR's. That is the bodies weakest point, where the corners of the rear side reflectors meet the rear fairing. Any weakness or undue stress on that part of the tail and the narrow extentions break and soon you have a taillight hanging by the stoplight wires.