Seat Comparo Stock v. Corbin v. Sargent

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by reg71, Jan 29, 2009.

1. scott1999

scott1999 New Member

Map
    The first expensive thing I bought for my 99 was a Corbin because I've always heard how great they are (unfortunately long before I discovered this site) and I've hated it ever since I installed it.

It's been 3 years and their Comfort Gel still isn't working, the fiberglass pan started to crack after a year, my bike cover blew off and the seat got soaked in a rain storm and then baked in the sun when I was on vacation so now the leathers really hard.

So I'm looking forward to ordering a Sargent in the near future after reading this thread.

For those who love Corbins great, for those who don't I feel your pain.

2. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

On my 4th gen, the side edge of the ignition key is a perfect fit.

3. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Placed my order for a Sargent!

After reading pages and pages of reviews and the pros and cons, the Sargent seat is for me. Generally put between 5,000-8,000 miles a year within a 6 month riding time.
    Own a 2006 VFR800 and I'm 6'0 and 180 and the stock seat isn't that bad. Have done 400 mile runs on it and if you have riding pants on, the stock seat is passable. Here's the rub--my wife hates the stock seat and wanted a better choice. Hopefully the Sargent is better for her ass (or not). Never really found many reviews of the passenger end of the seat. From the pictures I've seen, it seems a little wider.
    She is also pushing me to purchase a Goldwing or BMW of some sort. Sorry, but I waited 20+ years of looking at these VFR's and I love mine. After 100,000 things may change (or not).
    Seat should be here within the week. Too bad it is still to friggin cold here in Northern Illinois. Only in the 30's today.
    Will post up when I get some real ride time on this seat. Doing a Flat4Tour (Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin) in June that covers 2 days. 750 miles with about 50 of us. Sorry, not all VFR's--a little of everything. Will post up after that long run with plenty of railing corners for moving around weight for cornering.

4. nvoges

nvoges New Member

I purchased the Corbin and couldn't be happier with it. It has been on the bike for 15,000 miles and still looks new (I treat it with conditioner regularly). In my opinion the Corbin is probably a better fit for people with a wider arse and may not be for people that are thin (I’m 5’11” and weigh 225). The seat is much harder than stock, but seems to be formed to the contours of my body. After 120 miles on the stock seat I’m ready to stretch, but 120 miles on the Corbin and I’m just getting started.

BTW, great write-up Reg.

5. Tuzo

Tuzo New Member

United States
    Map
    How do you secure the two part Sargent seat when using only the front seat part and the cowl cover (the two parts mate with the back part attaching to the lock)? I just bought/recieved the new seat for my '98.

Thanks

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    the cowl goes over the empty part and is secured with the frankenbolts the front seat is hooked under the bar of the subframe and since the cowl is in place, it can't come out. the cowl actually covers some of the back part of the front seat so it can't be pried out easily when the cowl is in place.

7. AUG16

AUG16 New Member

Hi, I sent an email to Sargent site and got reply that they didn't make a seat to fit my '91FM. To be honest I like the look of both Sargent and Corbin seats and they've got to be a whole lot better than the stock seat which is giving me grief. Anyone out there got a good second hand one which would fit my bike.

8. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    Another low-cost alternative is to just modify the stocker. On my '05 Concours I went to an auto upholsterer,had an extra inch of hi-density foam added to the seat and the difference was unbelievable; no more sliding down onto the tank and much, much more comfortable. Cost-only $75. Just a suggestion to try before shelling out the big dollars.

Joe

9. AUG16

AUG16 New Member

Sounds like good idea - I've come across site below too which makes improvement sound relatively straightforward (when I can get the bike off the road for long enough to try - might need to wait till winter)
    Modify Seat
    Cheers

10. tcarroll

tcarroll New Member

I love my sargent, came with the bike. I have the stock seat but never used it.
    I did buy the quick release pins and like them also. You do have to drill out the threads but that didn't bother me.

11. yogiman

yogiman New Member

Map
    Thanks a stack for this write-up reg71.
    Living in Melbourne Australia, none of the Viffer riders I meet have even heard of a Corbin or Sargent. I've been reading all kinds of opinions trying to make a choice. I'm 5'11" and 85Kgs. Now I'm settled on a Sargent.

IS ANYONE DOING A GROUP BUY!?:eek:

12. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    You'll be comfortably settled on the Sargent. I'm 'bout the same weight - inch shorter & love mine....long days = no problem.

I'm also going to be in the market for new seat shortly......2 people is a pretty small group, tho.

13. yogiman

yogiman New Member

Map
    It's a start! Thanks. Does yours have this 'Griptex? or just straight hide? I've been reading users calling it 'Sliptex'.

14. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    Looks kind of woven....probably carbon fx.

I don't think they have griptex anymore....not sure
    maybe too many people got stuck to it.

Sargent Cycle Products - Seat Cover Insert Choices

15. scott1999

scott1999 New Member

Map
    I'm in, that would make three and as far as I know they don't offer griptex anymore.

16. yogiman

yogiman New Member

Map
    Bump for Group Buy:cool:

17. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    well after futher review of the corbin and stock seat if im wearing my leathers i like the stock seat better if im in the mesh outfits ilike the corbin better

18. Singer732

Singer732 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a Corbin on my 00 and I find it to be very comfortable, but I'm heavier than most of you, 260 lb, so the firmness is a plus in my case.
    When I first installed it it would not latch but the adjustment is simple and now it fits as well as the stock one. I do wish they would discover carbon fiber for the pan, because all that fiberglass is heavy. Of course if i was really worried about weight I'd drag my fat a** to the gym and lose 70 lb.
    I am looking forward to taking both saddles to the track just to see the difference under duress.

Dave

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    An alternative to buying one of the cookie cutter seats is to look for an auto upholsterer that is savvy about bike seats.

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    thats a good option for sure. my bike happened to come with a sargent so I was lucky. I would have thrown a modded seat into the comparo also if one had been available. I very well might have gone that route if I hadn't already had access to the brand names. I guess the worst thing about that is, if you go that route and it sux then you are out the $$ and you need another seat still.