Shell Rotella motor oil???!!??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by clintjennings, Aug 2, 2016.

1. clintjennings

clintjennings New Member

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to do another oil change and a co-worker of mine told me he runs shell Rotella diesel oil in his newer Yamaha Tenere. According to him Yamaha guys swear by it. It is cheaper and much easier to find here than the yamalube I've been using. Is anyone else using this oil or have any advice on the matter? Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    CAUTION OIL THREAD AHEAD!!!!

I use it in my bike and cars. Is it the very best? Dunno. Am I causing harm? Dunno. Are the other motorcycle oils more resistant to sheer? Dunno.

I don't know if anyone has irrefutable proof of anything above. I have only ever read opinions and I have NEVER seen anything that scientifically proves yes or no.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've been running the Rotella T6 in my 6 Gen and briefly tried it in my Duc but have switched back to Motul, as it really didn't like the Rotella. I was also running the Rotella T6 in my 5 Gen but also switched to Motul to give it a go. (I had a gift certificate that paid for it! as it is not cheap!) Rotella = ~$20/gallon; Motul = ~$65/gallon

If you're really looking for the BEST oil, maybe look at this website. Tech Facts, not Myths. Motorcycle Oil Engineering Test Data BTW, the background info is a long read but there is a summary of the findings which list the oils that were tested and how they rate.

5. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Rotella Rocks!

I've used it for many years in various motorcycles. They've even had it Jaso M2 certified. I can't tell the difference between that oil and more expensive full synthetics. If you ever run your liquid cooled bike without coolant, or run it in very cold temp's then I'd use a synthetic oil. For normal operation Rotella is a very good choice, in my opinion.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    According to the article linked above Motul 300V has nearly twice the sheer PSI rating of Rotella T6 112,464 vs 67,804. Additionally it shows T6 to have a oil flash rating of 260* vs 280 For 300V.

I guess the price difference between the $20 Rotella T6 and $50 300V for 4 liters would reflect this. I guess I am corrected on my statement above.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Pretty much get what you pay for. Not going try change people's mind if the are happy with what they are using. Amsoil oil and filters are top of the line, and come out on top on most tests. They were the first in synthetics, making oil for 27 years. For those who want the best, take a look at my site. Become a Preferred Customer and save 20-25%

I couldn't get past all the BS about how great he was, if you want a great dissertation on lubrication by a lubrication engineer with 37 years experience then Google Dave Mann's "A Comprehensive Technical Handbook on Motor Oil, Lubrication and Filtration", if you can't find a copy, send me a PM and I will send you a copy.

Found it: http://yampyweb.com/royal/oilinfo/Motor Oil Engineering.pdf

8. FightingChance

FightingChance New Member

If I were unreasonably wealthy I would use all Amsoil or Motul's finest. Instead, I have been happy with T6 synth in all my bikes for the last decade or so.

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Apparently Shell upgraded their formulation significantly in 2013, so you should be fine using it.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It was after I read the data on this website that I thought I would try the Motul in the 5 Gen, considering I had the gift card, it didn't cost me anything! No harm, no foul. I will say that the Duc absolutely did not like the Rotella T6 (I think too low of a viscosity) as it did not shift well at all but after going back to the Motul (15W50) she runs and shifts just fine. Right now I still have the Rotella T6 in the 6 Gen and may just leave it as-is but considered going with the Motul here too as the 5 Gen feels really smooth, shifting and how she runs.

11. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
  12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I run Motul 300 V. There are a lot of very good oils out there and Rotella may be fine but I run what I think is the best. Amsoil from all that I have read through the years is excellent too. I'm sure Allyance can affirm this as he is a dealer and has been through their info school.
    The one big thing I like about a superior syntheticl ester based oil like 300V is that your engine is actually still coated with a protective film on cold start ups where most oils don't do this. Wear and tear of cold startups is not good. The bad thing if it is a bad thing is that you need to change your oil around 3k. I would do this anyways with any oil. I know, I know, wasting oil.... lol

13. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Used Rotella T6 (the full synthetic one) for aboouuut 2 years now, can't tell the slightest shred of a difference between that at motul in my 6th gen. I've always found that my 6th gen shifts a little rough, i.e. with a loud 'clunk', and whether it was motul or Rotella made no difference in this regard.

As far as I'm concerned if Rotella T6 is JASO certified, it's good enough for a Honda motorcycle. If you ride your bike routinely above 8000 RPMs in twisties, or do trackdays, or whatever, then maybe Motul is a good choice. If you are just a normal rider though, I'd be shocked if Rotella wasn't perfectly fine.

Also, keep in mind, ALL the oils under discussion are vastly superior to what was on the market 20 years ago.

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I just started using the Rotella T6 ... great oil!!!

I'm also a fan of the Shell Advance Ultra 4T but it's difficult to find on your side of the border from what I understand, and more costly.

15. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I like organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's nothing new. :tongue-new:

Exotic European sportscars like Ferraris, Alfas, Jags were using Shell Rotella in the early 1960s ! I believe Rotella was specified as Ferrari's chosen oil in their owners' manuals. :loyal:

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol, thats how I roll too.

18. clintjennings

clintjennings New Member

Thanks for all the advice I decided to give it a go and see if she likes it. After reading some info on an r6 forum I ordered some 5w40 t6 synth oil.

19. geronpg

geronpg New Member

Wow.. a long read, but interesting. The guy spends a little too much time convincing you how smart he is, but oh, well. His tests do validate what I experienced 20... oops, almost 30 years ago with a Honda V-45 Sabre. Castrol GTX 10w-40 is excellent oil. The early V-4's had a bad reputation for lubrication failure with the double overhead cams, but mine were still like new after 12 years and 50,000 mi. I know because I did the valve adjustments myself. I'm running Castrol in my 04 Interceptor now.

20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Ordered it? Just run down to Walmart and grab a jug. Lolzz