So is this the new 2010 VFR??? What do you guys think...

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by PARedVFRRider, Dec 3, 2008.

1. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I saw that pic last year

2. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

It gets old reading about test rides & new bike shootouts especially when the 6th gen isn't even considered capable competition anymore.

This week, I was googling some old '02 & '03 ride reports to remind me of how my bike stacked up back in the day. One common view was the distaste for the looks of the 6th gen. They couldn't understand why Honda changed the VFR from what was historically a "safe" look to something so aggressively styled. One clever journalist predicted that the 6th gen would look dated within a couple years. He went so far as to say that the only good view of the bike was the one looking out over the windshield.

Well, fast forward to 2009 and the 6th gen stands relatively unchanged. In fact, even now, the 6th gen still fits in quite nicely among current designs. If anything, the look is now starting to look "safe" compared to many newer bikes. I really gotta give props to Honda engineers for developing a bike in '02 that could last so long. The fact of the matter is, if the VFR performance & style was indeed severely antiquated in '09, Honda would have been forced to either update or discontinue the model. The fact they didn't do either now on it's 9th yr of production points to their commitment & better things to come for the VFR.

Will we like the 7th gen when it finally is revealed? Initially, probably not. But I'm guessing it will be one heck of a bike and will eventually win most of us over.
    For now, I'm just thankful that Honda is still making the VFR.

3. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Buckwheat- Excellent summarization. The 6th Gen was ahead of its time and is finally fitting in amongst sport riders, commuters, and tourers. Sure better suspension would be nice, but other than that I have no complaints.

4. TAGLICIOUS

TAGLICIOUS New Member

omg I guess I better check into this then

:cheersaf: Been such a fan of getting a 3rd gen 1st year SS, and no other focus than that. I hear now that you guys have been talking about. I will do some sniffing, and see what it is you speak of. (LOL) :bootyshake2:

BTW that concept bike is soo buttery smooth looking... it looks like it'll go fast on it's side as much as it may up-right ;)

5. Yonan

Yonan New Member

I like this one
    [​IMG]

6. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

^ that's a lot better, and looks more like something Honda would actually build

7. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Let us know how that works out for you

8. Rev

Rev New Member

That's easy: it will be bare metal and gray primer.

9. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Maybe they can make it out of stainless steel like a Delorean- or just dip it in chrome so it glows in the dark and boils your teabag on hot days

10. Marley Davidson

Marley Davidson New Member

Map
    Either we like it or not I think this is going to be the next gen...

11. Spectre

Spectre New Member

Bar-mounted gear changer?

Someone please explain how a 'bar-mounted gear changer' works. I have several questions...

1) What is the reasoning and purpose for employing a bar-mounted gear changer over a conventional foot-operated gear shift lever? What would be the advantages?

2) Is the gear-changer paddle located on the left handlebar, and if so, where exactly? Is it thumb-operated or what?

3) Would such a motorcycle still have a conventional foot-operated shift lever, as well as a conventional clutch lever, in addition to the bar-mounted gear changer?

4) When using the bar-mounted gear changer, does it allow for both up-shifting and down-shifting... is it 'clutchless' in its operation, or do you still need to pull in and release the clutch lever with each shift? (If it is clutchless, is the motorcycle's transmission then essentially automatic rather than manual?)

5) If the next generation VFR includes a bar-mounted gear changer, do you think it will be an option rather than standard equipment? If (God forbid) it turns out to be an unavoidable feature, why on Earth would you wanna give yet another task for one's hands to be responsible for, while taking away the deeply ingrained and instinctive role that one's left foot has had in shifting gears? Is the rider's left foot just suddenly expected to do nothing other than resting on its footpeg, with nothing else to do?

6) If the bar-mounted gear changer is unavoidable when ordering the motorcycle, would there likely be a 'defeat' setting in order to turn it off?

12. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    I think the days of 'underseat exhausts' are numbered, as a styling cue.

the short stubbies which already appear on the new blade and predator
    are more likely for the next gen.

Attached Files:

13. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    The bar mounted shifter is used in racing. There is an electronic interrupt that pauses the engine for a split second (relieves torque on transmission) while either an air or electric actuator shifts gears. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it downshifts.

The purpose is that the shift is faster with much less interruption in power delivery plus the rider does not have move his foot in position to reach the shifter, it can remain where it is supposed to be with the ball on the peg not dangling down. This is especially helpful when exiting a corner near redline where it would be nearly impossible to reach out with your toe to kick up a gear.

And yes it is clutchless.

14. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    The Yamaha FJ1300 has an automatic type transmission if I remember correctly. I have read about it, as it's technically interesting, however one of the reasons that I ride a motorcycle is that I rather enjoy shifting. My wife has no interest in learning how to drive a manual transmission equipped vehicle, so it's all auto's in my house, with the exception of the VFR. Depending on what Honda decides to do with the VFR if it is updated I MIGHT consider getting one, however Big Red hasn't really imressed me with their offerings of late. I wish Ducati made an 848S model, as I'd be rather tempted o get one of those. As I'm doing more and more track time if I were to get a new bike I'd really be leaning on a new GSXR750, again I haven't ruled out a new VFR but I'm not going to hold my breath on what I want from a motorcycle to be produced by Honda. There is no way that I'd want to buy a shiftless motorcycle like what the DN-01 has Human Friendly Transmission...bah. I'm not discounting it, it's just not for me.

15. Spike

Spike New Member

The FJR isn't so much an automatic transmission as it is an auto shifter. Slight difference, in that you push a button or toe the lever to tell it when to shift and it does, rather than deciding itself. More like a manumatic you see on some cars, but without the D option, and it won't overide your shift.

Aprilia I think though just introduced an automatic bike, I think the Mana???

And Honda did sell an automatic bike here in the states for a couple of years in the late 70's early 80's, the Hawk I beleive. Wait, what did the Pacific Coast have for a transmission, don't think it was an auto, but don't know off the top of my head.

16. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, cool, thanks for the clarification. Like I said I read up on it, but didn't really understand it quite as I would have liked to. I still like shifting, it's what seperates us from the rest of the motorized world! I haven't heard about the automatic brake, not too sure if I trust a machine that much.

17. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    Is this it?

Attached Files:

18. dendron

dendron New Member

Map
    Er, I'm concerned! :bs:

19. dendron

dendron New Member

Map
    Hey, that was my avatar in a former lifetime! :rolleyes:

20. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    This got posted on the OZVFR mailing list the other day....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HONDA WITHDRAWS FROM 2009 VFR LAUNCH.

In a further blow to riders world wide, Honda have announced that the announced announcement about the announcement of a new VFR in 2009 will now not go ahead.

The new Generation 7 VFR was to have had everything a rider could wish for on a VFR, making for smooth acceleration, amazing braking ability, be comfortable to ride, even for Cavers, have a compartment for keeping pies warm from Robbo's pie shop, plus have the added ability to still look good even if left sitting in a garage for years.

This announcement of the cancellation of the pending announcement of the announcement is seen as a blow to VFR riders world wide. For many years now Honda have promised to deliver a pre bike announcement, but have now failed to do that.

Honda are blaming the current financial crisis for the non appearance of a new VFR, but have promised to budget for an announcement in 2010, as for actually delivering a bike, well that could be decades away, as all research and development departments world wide work out the best type of paper on which to make an announcement.

In a further blow, rumours from insiders at Honda have hinted that if a new VFR is announced, the bike will actually be a scooter, as Honda sees scooters as the bike of the future. But no official announcement has been made.

:tongue: