So there I was...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by freewheelburner, Nov 9, 2006.

1. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    In my stand on a day that your not supposed to hunt "deer don't move when it's windy" they say. I got in at about 2:30PM for the afternoon sit. It was the first day of daylight savings and dark would not be far off. Sometimes you just sit in you stand and dream of how it would happen when that big dream buck comes in. This day was no different. About 30 minutes before dark I caught some movement to my right, the place where I had invisioned my quarry to appear. It was a young deer all alone. Doe are not usually alone so I assumed it was a button buck. All of the sudden the deer turned it's head and pointed it's ears sharply behind it and scurried towards me. I looked in that direction and there he was, just like I had imagined, a huge 8 point buck coming my was. Not wanting to take a marginal shot I waited till he got broadside and stopped him with a grunt at about 15 yards. Unfortunately he stopped quicker than expected and a tree blocked his vitals. All the possibilities ran through my head I considered a neck shot but could not chance it on a buck like this. So it left only one option. Go through the shoulder. With my poundage and arrow weight I know it could be done but I would have to hug that tree as close as I could. So I aimed and let it go. WACK!!! ...The sound was unmistakable. I hit the tree and he bounded away. After nearly crying over it I got down and investigated the scene. I was a mere inch away from bagging that buck. I will go back tomorrow and try to seal the deal once more. So that's my story and only you hunters will appreciate it I'm sure.

http://360.yahoo.com/deepwood4

2. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    Been there myself more times than I care to remember, both w/ the bow & the rifle; I feel your pain:pout:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    good luck. i don't hnt myself, but I appreciate those who do and can't eat all the meat. :)

4. MrDe

MrDe New Member

Did the tree live? :biggrin: