Some Random Motorcycle Questions

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by faran, Oct 22, 2017.

1. faran

faran New Member

United States
    So I have few random questions and problems(I guess?) for my 2000 Carbed R1:

1- When I shut the bike off after 50-60 miles ride and try to start it over, it never starts in first crank. Usually it starts at 2nd crank. Is it normal? Or should I always start with choke? Once it's running, no hesitation and smooth idle.

2-I started the bike, while kick stand was down and then put it into 1st gear, of course bike shut itself off, but all the Trip meters and Clock, they got reset, is this normal or something is wrong with battery?

3-While riding, if bike is in first gear and I am taking off and feathering clutch or at a traffic light/stop sign, feel like bike is about to shut itself off while my rpms are low, once I increase the rpms and let the clutch go it goes just fine. Is this a normal behavior? Clutch freeplay is good and no other problems with shifting.

Thanks for any of your input and help.

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    1. No choke needed to restart when warm or hot.
    2. Clocks reset like that tends to indicate low battery, my experience. Does it also crank slow or act reluctant?
    3. "About to to shut off", do you mean chug chug about to stall? Yes, give it some revs and "fan" the clutch. Pull it in a little then ease it out as you rev.
    3a. Only rev a little at this time to stay on 2. No Motogp hero shit, OK? :)

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Open the throttle a bit as you crank.

Could be a battery on way out .

Could be low idle speed, check your idle speed, or a little more gas is required from the throttle hand.

faran likes this.
  4. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your help and suggestions.

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    It looks like you have all the signs of a battery on the way out...time to put a voltmeter on it.

The clock resetting is the voltage dropping.
    The reason it's not starting on the first go is lack of amps / voltage drop.. your injectors will not fire when voltage is under 10.8v. Mine did this until I bought a new battery...

Drove me up the wall - lol

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I hope I am wrong but those symptoms could also be the first signs of a developing charging system fault which these bikes are somewhat prone to. So fitting a volt meter is a good way to monitor the system, and if you see volts dropping too low you know to look deeper.

As for charging system faults it is extensively covered in the following thread. It shows the most common causes and in post #9 you will find "the drill" to check for faults. But note you can get misleading results if the battery is drained or dying so make sure you start with a healthy fully charged battery. You also need to do those tests twice - once with the bike cold and then again after a 20 minute plus ride by which time heat related problems should become apparent - sometimes a diode in the RR or insulation in the stator winding can fail when hot and instead of charging the bike will start to drain it.

http://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

7. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thanks skimad4x4, I'll install a voltmeter on R1 too.

8. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Battery was toast, while cranking dropping to 5-6V. So need to replace battery and I think it'll take care of 1 and 2.