Some thoughts about the GoPro

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Sep 5, 2016.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Maybe I'm weird but I subscribe to many motovloggers: RidingWithTom, CagerOnTwoWheels, Spacep0d, CycleCruza, Chaseontwowheels, etc, just to name a few. To me there's nothing more boring than watching a GoPro vid that has no audio commentary - I enjoy the different cultures and personalities of the vloggers and hearing what they're up to. You can only watch vids of the snake and the dragon so many times before it gets tedious - entirely different story of course if you're the one actually on the bike. So my advice is hook up the microphones and let's hear what you have to say in addition to the engine sounds, even if it's lame mumbo jumbo like in my vids LOL

[video=youtube;4NtCHJTT22c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NtCHJTT22c[/video]

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If memory serves me correctly, he does not have ABS but when we asked if he was braking at the time, he couldn't remember, probably the shock of what happened. I know I don't always brake, depending on the situation, I usually use engine braking to slow me down for most corners.

3. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, I brake into most of those corners, but by the time he lost the front, he should have been off the brakes. That's not to say that he was, I wasn't there and the video doesn't show either way. The edges of that road are usually pretty clean, but that doesn't mean they were that day. If his tires weren't the best, I'd say that probably is the reason. I've had it happen to me, and it happened about that fast. In my case, I was running the tires the previous owner had installed, and I'd only owned the bike a week. I replaced those crap tires, and I've never ran off brand tires on any bike since. I still get mad at myself when I think about that off. I knew better.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

When we walked that portion of the road we did not see a lot of sand or much of anything that would have broken his traction, so IMO it was his tire. Whether or not he was on the brakes, hard or soft, I think his tire was just not able to do its job.

When I bought my 5 Gen, the first few things to go were the chain and sprockets and the tires. As for the tires, not only were they mismatched, they were old Shinkos...not much confidence in that scenario!

5. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map

Dunno about the other guys, but I consider Chaseon2 to be a really bad example of the attitude that a motorcyclist should have when riding.
    Some of it is I think purposely pointed towards sensationalism, which of course means more subscribers, more hits, and more YouTube money.

But really, for viewer kids yearning to ride, he sets terrible examples regarding how to behave and stay safe in traffic. Overall, I give him at best a "D".

I watch YouTube videos more for entertainment than education, so videos like yours are not something I'd normally view.
    That is a Good Thing. Hell, I think I'd spend way too much time harping about major errors in judgement to enjoy the leisure time.

6. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    When I went down the bike had Tomahawk tires on it. Talk about knowing better. I'm still beating myself up over it. When people say tires are expensive, I think about all the time and money I spent repairing and painting that bike. And that's with no medical expenses since I wasn't hurt. Tires are relatively inexpensive in my mind.

7. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah, I should probably have mentioned that just because I subscribe to certain motovlogger channels, it does not necessarily mean I think they exemplify safe riding techniques - some of them I like because they test ride lots of newer model bikes which interest me and they provide a different perspective than much of the motorcycle press. Some of them do provide some nice riding and safety tips, Spacep0d would be a good example for instance.

8. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Not feeling so great this morning.
    Still went to work. But I'm just watching my vids on Facebook. Kinda enjoyable on a dreary day.

Sorry boss, here in body only...

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I think the bike POV videos are perfect for days like you're having and for those who live in the "winter prone" areas.