starter motor install

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by motohockey, Jun 7, 2018.

1. motohockey

motohockey New Member

Canada
    Map
    Did a starter motor clean-up on my 2009 VFR800A as a step in the search for an intermittent starting problem. Upon completion of said clean-up I re-installed (have shop manual) only to have the starter spin and not engage when I hit the start button. Re-traced my steps but I cant get the starter motor to engage with gear in the crankcase? Suggestions welcome.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    dija remove the clutch cover ? maybe you need to check on the starter clutch since that's a known weak point on most VFRs and would account for the motor spinning but the engine not turning.

3. motohockey

motohockey New Member

Canada
    Map
    All I did was remove the section of the starter motor with the brushes in it to clean out the black conductive dust and check that the brushes were still good. When I re-assembled I GUESS? I did not fit the 2 pieces together properly so I removed starter again, disassembled, re-assembled, put it back on and all is good. Just a matter of DIY, inexperienced, back yard mechanic mistake, I guess. At the same time I also decided to remove the EVAP canister since I already did the PAIR valve disconnect. Throttle seems a little crisper, I think, hard to really be sure?
    Thanks for your response