Starter not working.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Captain750f, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Captain750f

Captain750f New Member

United States
    Map
    Still trying to get my VFR750 going. I reversed the wires on the fuel pump by mistake. Now I think that cooked the starter relay/Solenoid. The dash lights up, but when I push the start button I get nothing. Not a sound, not anything. the 30 amp fuse is fine. Does this sound like a fried solenoid?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Soleniods are just copper coils that close a switch, not sensitive to polarity, check the switch and wiring.

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Check fuses.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    very doubtful the solenoid is bad. instead check for continuity on the START pushbutton.

you can check solenoid by measuring for some resistance across the 2 terminals that power it up. wiring diagram will show which wire terminals to measure. zero conductivity means a bad solenoid. pull off the big red plug on the solenoid to measure ohms.

other elements also control power to solenoid: neutrAl switch, diode, clutch switch.

could also be bad connection within a plug, so pull off the plug from right hand switchgear and clean the contacts.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. Captain750f

Captain750f New Member

United States
    Map
    Will give all that a try. The start switch maybe it, the run\off switch doesn't work. This may take care of both problems. Thanks. I have a new solenoid coming anyway. Previous owner butchered all the wires. Trying to put her back together correctly. Thanks for the help.

6. Captain750f

Captain750f New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the help. Turns out a couple of fuses went bad. However I think the fuel cutoff relay is bad. It has voltage but won't let pump run. Can I just bypass the relay and be done with it. I get the fact it's a safety issue in the event the bike is dumped. Is that the only function of the relay?