Sticking point in throttle

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by BootBuckle, Aug 25, 2012.

1. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Alright, here it goes. First off, I want to be clear that I looked through the forum for about an hour, and haven't seen anyone complaining about this issue yet.

When I twist my throttle grip about 75% open, I pass what feels like a very quick hangup on the throttle. I can twist past this hangup, and close the throttle back down through the hangup. Most of the time, the throttle return springs are able to return the throttle to the closed position regardless of this hang up. "Most of the time" is definitely not good enough.

When I'm hitting the twisties fairly hard (and putting a decent amount of pressure on the bars), sometimes I need to forcibly close the throttle past this sticking point. It is very unsettling, and I'd love to hear some advice about the issue. Note that on either side of this sticking point, the twist grip is smooth, and snaps back with no issues (so it's not a cable/lube problem). Note also that this is a sticking POINT, not a sticking BAND.

HELP!!!

2. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

23 views and no replies... anyone have any idea what's going on?

3. ReefDiver

ReefDiver New Member

Map
    I am no expert, but my bike had a sticky throttle, not so much an area where it would bind, just a take your hand off and wow I have cruise control... I greased every moving part I could find related to the throttle. Down in the cables all the way to actually taking the throttle hand grip off and greasing the bar. Eventually it freed up. Sounds like you have a cable issue. Check you cables for any out of the ordinary tight bends or wear through.

4. chickunfut

chickunfut New Member

My grip tends to slide a little off the end when I'm beating the bike to death. It will rub on the bar end and cause some tightness..

My professional opinion would be to start taking things apart (after a thorough visual inspection of course) starting with the grip / throttle assembly, then head under the tank and check everything else.. Cable routing (could be pinched), remove air filter and make sure there's nothing hung up in there either,,

Oh yeah,, you might be getting ready to loose a cable,, Tend to bind up right before breaking......

5. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

I'll take a thorough look tomorrow. If I can't figure it out, I'll be back bitching tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the incite fellas.

6. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Sounds to me like either a frayed cable or a kink in the wire itself. But sounds more like a fray. Definitely not worth cheaping out on. I would just replace both cables and check your linkage for any binding. Could have had a wire harness getting caught up . Do you have a manual yet. I couldn't imagine owning a bike without one

7. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Rained all day; didn't have a chance to poke around. Yes, I have a manual... I'll be digging in this week and will post results.

8. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Well, I took things apart, couldn't find anything wrong, and put them back together. I went out for a ride today, pegged the throttle on Route 95, and it stuck. Hard. It held to about 12,500 rpms for a solid 5 seconds before my sluggish brain processed the situation and I flicked the kill switch. I forced the throttle back closed with my wrist, and restarted the bike before coming to a stop. I keep thinking I'm hearing my valves tapping now, but I know it's just my imagination effing with me. Not too cool to hold a bike past redline for that long though. Damn. I'll be taking it to the Honda dealer early next week to have a professional remedy the problem. Goodbye, sweet dollars...

9. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

Most likely you need to replace the throttle cable, they don't last forever. Cables can get rust and debris in them which will cause them not to slide freely inside the sheath. I replace cables all the time on my mountain bikes for the same reasons.