strange FI light problems

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by jytheorem, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jytheorem

jytheorem New Member

Have recently bought a 98 VFR800FI..
    Current mileage stands at 66k.

The bike starts up very easily and runs normally stationary, i.e. regardless how many rpms i twist the bike to, bike sounds terrific.
    Strange thing is whenever i get on the move, about 2 mins ride, the FI light comes on...

Cant seem to get an accurate FI error code reading, sometimes it blinks constantly, sometimes shows a longer pause seemingly a 10.

Bike is mostly stock except for a high mount GPR carbon exhaust with the silencers removed.

Left the bike at one of the bikeshops near my area, cant seem to find any faults...

Anyone any recommendation?

2. crewwolfy

crewwolfy New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like an issue with the orange grounding block. I had a similar issue. My block didn't look too bad, but cleaned it up and soldered in a grounding cable straight to the frame. No more FI light.

3. jytheorem

jytheorem New Member

Hi, are you able to point out where i can find this orange grounding block??
    Is it the one under the fuel tank?

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd like to know more about this too.

JY- I'm familiar with the 10 blink (or one long blink). I've been dealing with this same problem since the end of last year's riding season (about November, 2011). The one long blink is the BARO sensor. This part apparently makes adjustments to fuel/air based on your elevation, but supposedly unless you are above 5000 feet above sea level, there is no difference in performance.

I've been looking for replacement parts, and its disgustingly expensive. Not sure what the conversion is, but I'm seeing about $230 USD. (One place even had it for $900USD. What the FUCK is that about!).

Click below for a link to my thread.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/37372-help-finding-ordering-parts.html

5. maxredline

maxredline New Member

Canada
    Map
  6. maxredline

maxredline New Member

Canada
    Map
    My bikes FI light was coming on first intermittently and seemed to go off when I used the brakes. Near the end it just stayed on. Then the bike began to die but would start up again . I looked for shorts but did not find any. I changed out the R/R and installed the bundle from wiremybike .com. I also installed extra grounds from the battery to the frame, the frame to the R/R and the switched block. The FI light has never come back on.

Until last week, so the hunt is on for a short in the system

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. jytheorem

jytheorem New Member

Thanks for the help guys!
    Managed to find the orange grounding block, did some cleaning there, as well as on the MAP sensor.
    FI lite no longer present after i did a fault code reset!