Suggestions wanted regarding improving handling and power on a 1995 vfr750.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JIMLARCH, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm looking for suggestions in regards to improving the handling and performance of my 1995 vfr750. I've had it a number of years and was willing to leave it pretty much stock as my other bike is a gsxr1000, so performance and handling was not a priority on the vfr. Until the last couple of days when my insurance company doubled the yearly insurance premium on the gsxr.

I'm strongly considering getting rid of the gsxr. I can afford the insurance but I don't like getting ripped off. As it is I ride the vfr much more than the gsxr as it is a more practical bike. As well as being a bike that I just plain like.

I'm thinking of going the Jamie Daugherty route with front and rear suspension. But what about other "performance" enhancements such as mods and weight loss. What suggestions, I would prefer one's that have been proven to work, do any of you have?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Check and see how much they would charge you for a 2014 or 15 VFR. A lot of refinements in 20 years of development. Think long range, that is what I did when I traded up from from a 6th gen to the 8 th gen. Lot of good deals around. Sell the GSXR and get a new VFR, and hang on to your stock VFR750.

3. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Until I demo'd a 2016 vfr800 I was considering your suggestion. But quite frankly I didn't find the new bike to be much of an upgrade to my '95. I prefer the engine on my bike. It seems to have more punch. I also prefer the riding position. The 2016 seemed a bit strangled. When my bike hits 4000 it pulls with authority, which is one of the reasons I like it so much The gsxr1000 obviously pulls much harder but does it so easily that something is lost in the satisfaction area.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Hard to switch from something that fits and feels like an old shoe, I put bar risers on and lowered the pegs to make my riding position more comfortable. I find that when the VTEC kicks in @ 6800 it has all kinds of pull.

5. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Daugherty suspension is terrific; I installed dampers and custom rear shock in my 5th Gen a few months ago. This is where the real improvements are; it affects the bike 100% of the time you're riding it.

Regarding weight loss and more power, well, that will be harder. VFRs are some of the most successful, integrated designs ever; it is very hard to make them lose weight, and more power beyond an exhaust and jet kit will come at a very steep price. I wouldn't mess with it, unless exhaust/jetting has proven to get you more area under the curve.

And, after you spend $6K on the engine, it will still get blown into the weeds by your GSXR1K, so I wouldn't bother. Besides, objectively, it's still way fast enough stock, if you think about it; 150 MPH generates plenty of impact force...

Me, I would make the VFR perfect; take it apart, go through it, rebuild brakes, install SS braided lines, install Daugherty stuff, detail it, make it all it can be. I just did that to my 5th Gen. IMO, you're right about the new VFR800s; I'd take a nice 3rd-5th Gen all day.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I meant get rid of GSXR and get an 8th gen at a steal PLUS keep the 5 th gen and follow ksoholm's advice!! Can't have too many V4's.