Super Charger

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by TOE CUTTER, Jul 18, 2011.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Sorry to hear about the set-back ,Toe.

Are you in contact with the Supercharger company?

Any idea if it's a design flaw?

2. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

I'm new around here(just got a 2004 myself) and I burned the better part of a morning reading this thread. Toe, your one tough some-bitch :hail: Possibly the best internet forum read ever.

Craig

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    So, I pissed away more billable time reading these posts. This forum is bad for me financially. I have to say that just when I get my life to such a state, where I don't think I want or need anything else along comes something like this. Me want one!

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

You are in good company Big Jim. I keep saying, one day you will be mine, oh yes one day (Waynes World).

However, like many of the other enthusiasts, I have a hard time keeping a bike insured and on the road. Every year the costs of life in general just keep going up and my compensation ($$$$$$) sits stagnant. Every time things get tight, the wife starts looking at the VFR with dollar signs in her eyes as if it is just a pile of cash waiting to be released. So I keep buying crappier bikes that are worth less and less to reduce the temptation. Nothing worse than liquidating your pride and joy to pay off credit card bills resulting from clothing and furniture purchases that you had nothing to do with but such are the realities for many.

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Ya know Jethro I understand completely. It is hard to keep riding and paying for the little things when we are bombarded in the motorcycle press to buy the latest and greatest and trapped on the other side with bills and taxes. My previous bikes were all basket case rebuilds. All were actually really good bikes but all lacked the polish and pizazz of a modern ride. (I can make em go but I don't have the patents to make them pretty.) My 5th gen was the combination of savings and selling other bikes to get the cash since getting a note on a bike is out of the question. I never regretted for one minute my built up hacks. I rode with all the other riders in the knowledge that I was riding on a budget but I was riding all the same. Where there is a will there is a way.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    been to Phar TX with a Glock in my pocket.

That sux man, if my old lady started making stipulations about liquidating my rides, I think a divorce would be in my vocabulary. That would straighten things up right away, as she really loves me. She is not a motorcycle person but can recognize the amount of time and sweat that has gone into my VFR and other bikes! I love the VFR as well as my little shitter Ninja high 5...The Kawi is a hell of lot easier to work on too! AnywhoOOooooo remember this: a happy wife = a happy life...words to live by....but, if you gota get rid of your rides, you have to re-think the equation...roger and OUT>.....

7. VF.Alex

VF.Alex New Member

United States
    Map
    Seriously though, this should be featured in a magazine. People would LOVE to read this. That finger split was naaasty, but you handled it pretty well! Good job on your bike man! I thought I done good when had 3 beers installing my VFRness.

Cool thread! :cool:

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    dont drink and wrench!!! :mech:

It is easier to drive/ride than wrench, trust me on this...

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Aw crap! I'm gonna have to read this aren't I?

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    It's worth the read. I want one. Are the kits still available?

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The last time I heard it discontinue :confused:
    You might find one for your fifth

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    If I had the financial wherewithal to do one crazy thing, I think installing a supercharger on my 5th gen would be that one thing. It just looks like crazy, over the top fun.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Got a buddy in Renton,WA who has a blower for that ratty Norton you have. Just the thing for a wild and crazy guy with a Norton.

14. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, I have seen those Norton blowers first hand. They are pretty impressive and nicely made. They also have a propensity to stick open for a very exciting ride! I talked to a guy at the Lake of the Pine Rally (a big Norton event around here.) That was working on a push pull throttle system in an effort not to get killed on his.

. . .does he want to sell that blower?

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Several guys in the local Norton club (Seattle) have been trying to buy that blower for years.. I don't think it's for sale. Seems like I recall that Kenny Dreer tried to buy it too..

16. rc4511

rc4511 New Member

Toe it's been a while since you fitted the Toro Charger, how about an update. What happened with the bearing support (failure)? Are you still happy you fitted the blower? Has it been reliable and any issues, overheating, clutch etc....?

17. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The bearing support was an easy fix and it ran fine until the last SLO gathering and the Rotrex unit failed on the way home. The impeller shaft broke in several places due to an over abundance of abuse. Have replaced it and fitted a larger oil tank and am not banging the rev limiter all willy nilly as I have done in the past. Put aboot a thousand miles on the new unit with no issues and still love it. Over heating is not an issue but it does run hotter than before and the 100lbs clutch springs cured the slipping. Having that kind of fun on tap makes it all worth while.

18. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness rc451
    Don't be shy to stop by and hang out :potstir:

19. User Omega

User Omega New Member

Anyone still running the A&A kit? Any reason know as to why they stopped making a VFR800 setup??

Those of you who had or have the kit.. How many miles did you put on it? Any issue with the stock motor or kit?? Obviously I could see the clutch being a problem.

Ive found a 1400 mile used kit and am concerned on what to keep an eye out for or replace before installing.

20. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Who needs a supercharger ?

My latest without anything but perserverance ! The history Stock=95hp, K&N, open airbox top, own ramair intake mods 98hp PC3 custom map 102hp, my own cams 105hp, another custom map 107.5hp, big airbox mod 112.5hp, TBR full system + Yoshi style dual stacks 118.5hp. With RAMAIR should exceed 120hp :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rsb53n67nrf75m/image.jpg?dl=0