Texas Hurricane (Harvey) Destruction

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by derstuka, Aug 27, 2017.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    That nasty storm has already left a wide path of flooding and destruction around parts of Texas...especially Houston. Let's keep all of our Texas brothers and sisters close in our thoughts, and hope they and their families/friends are unharmed and safe.

Stay safe guys/girls! Please let us know if you're ok when possible!

~Jason

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf New Member

United States
    Yeah, nasty stuff. I saw the pictures of massive flooding in Houston on the news. I pray for the well-being of those in the path.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My thoughts are aimed at good luck and hope. Let us know how you made out. I se there is a hurricane off the coast of Carolina too right now?

My mistake. Just a storm with potential

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    It's not over by a long shot, cannot imagine 20" rain in a day, and many days to come. If you are in the area chances are you can't read this because power is out and cell coverage is weak, but help others if you can.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Crossing my fingers for all the folks in the path of these storms.

6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Ditto.

7. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Wow, another 15 to 25 inches due by Friday. Gonna be a long tough week for all.

Coast Guard helicopters being sent in from all over the country as well as and National Guard troops being deployed. Prayers for all affected and involved.

34468 Randy likes this.
  8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I really hope our brothers and sisters from the Houston and surrounding area are safe. According to news reports, they are not out of danger yet. They are expecting another deluge of rain, more so than what they have already received. Also the storm is moving back out to the gulf. With that, the possibility of gathering strength and returning to hurricane status, then to turn back, coming ashore and devastating another area nearby.

I am seeing reports of Texans coming together like we all should. Helping out those in need. Good on you Tex.

Though this disaster, our Texan friends and neighbours (sorry...neighbors), have become unwilling victims of natural disaster. Not much can be done to prevent that. I just hope they do not become victims of bureaucracy and stingy, greedy insurance companies who drag their heels and have many lawyers on their payroll to find reasons not to approve insurance claims in a timely manner in such disasters.

Fort MacMurray in northern Alberta, to a large degree burned down from an out of control forest fire. The fire was horrendous as news footage and home videos showed while people were driving through massive flames to escape the city. That was over a year ago now. Many homeowners are fighting still with their insurance companies for claims to be settled.

Now, I understand some of this could be policy holders making unrealistic or even fraudulent claims. I am sure that type of issue is far less than those who are still waiting.

Here's hoping this type of thing does not raise its ugly head in the Houston area.

So. What can we do? Will we let this drag on like what has happened to New Orleans from Katrina? I sure hope not. Do you live nearby and have talent and time to lend a hand? If so, please do. I think we can do more than what we did for New Orleans after Katrina. I wished I was closer. I would be there.

Samuel and lroyvfr like this.
  9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I've been very out of the loop lately with back to work and then being gone this weekend.

Went out of town I noticed a huge storm system down south and figured it was the hurricane and thought it was neat to see. I had heard from my friends down there and they were okay... Just getting a lot of rain.

Didn't realize how serious it was until someone alerted me and I actually looked at the news yesterday. Very sad and it puts things in perspective, at least for me. While I'm out living my life and having fun and having stress at work, these people are dealing with disaster.

I guess that happens all the time everywhere, and all we can do is hope the people are okay and are getting the help they need.

I hope the members that are down there see this at some point and are able to let us know they are okay or if they need anything. I'm sure many of us here would do anything to help, especially one of our members.

10. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    it's been bad for 2 days here. i live in montgomery, and am at work in conroe right now. the water levels here are higher than i have ever seen them before.
    lake front properties are now in the lake. every creek and river has gone out of it's banks, and many bridges have water either to them, on them, or over them.
    wasnt sure if i'd be able to make it to work today. i work in a jail, so i have to be here, if im able.
    my house is ok. there's a lot of ground level water, and my little shop area is a mess. but i'm alright. my viffer is still in the shop i took it to a week before the storm hit. i'd sure like to get it back, but im in much less of a hurry now. lol

from what i have seen of houston, it is very bad. i hope everyone is ok. i havent been listening to news much during all of this. i just keep my eyes open when i'm driving, and avoid going into flood water.

i'm ready to feel some sun on my face, and not have damp shoes.

A.M, Samuel, GatorGreg and 2 others like this.
  11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    The flat topography of Houston makes all this water a horror show. Houston is crossed with wide and deep bayous that take the rain water off but not this time. Hurricanes are nasty with high winds, storm surge, heavy rain and spawned tornadoes. I live about 250 miles to the north. We just got some rain over the past three days.

A.M likes this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to see the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey on the news. I think everyone here in Oz is thinking of you guys in the aftermath and wishing everyone effected well.

13. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Two years back we had 48 inches of rain in 2 days - the mess is still being dealt with in parts of the Rhone Alpes. I really hope all you folks come through this OK. The worry is there already seems to be another bad storm brewing with Cuba and other islands battening down the hatches, where it goes next is far from clear. Hopefully it stays well clear.

Take care folks