The Drill

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 34468 Randy, Nov 4, 2016.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Member

Canada
    Map
    This is posted due to many having trouble finding this post. The post is imbedded in another thread so the search engine is not good at pulling up "The Drill" Hopefully one of the moderators will make this a sticky.

Many thanks go out to the original poster of this drill here, mello dude. He was the one who found and posted this in the earlier thread.

Here is the thread. there is lots there as well:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...mon-regulator-Stator-failures?highlight=drill

Here is mello dude's entry specifically:

- I'll throw in my stuff that I have been posting - here's the quick test summary for charging. -

The Drill

-Looks like you gotta do…. “The Drill.” ----:eek:hwell:----
    Go through all your connectors for burnt leads, dig deep. Crispy wires? Not good. The stator connector is the number one burn it up connector on the bike. - Your gonna have to fix that!

Then---Go through this starting point quick list. You will need a multimeter too.

Steps: ---
    - Recharge battery overnite - then to take it to Autozone or similar to load test. -- Good? Bad? – An iffy battery can fake you out and act like a bad R/R. Buy new if needed.

- With good battery fire it up, warm up for a minute or two.

These are R/R quick checks---
    --- With voltmeter at battery posts get voltages -- idle volts? 5000 rpm volts? What’s the numbers? Should be in 13ish min idle and in 14s at revs. (if in the 12s at idle, check at about 1900rpms instead. Its not unusual for the system to be in discharge at idle. )

- Check stator - These tests are done checking the connector that goes to the stator. (Engine off)
    1. Pull connector apart. Set meter to resistance. Check pin to pin, 3 yellow wires, A to B, B to C, C to A. What’s the numbers? 3 separate readings --Should be less than 1.0 ohms.

- 2. Check continuity from each A,B,C pin to ground, -- -should be infinity - nada nothing. no continuity. -- 3 separate checks. (Connector still apart, engine off)

- 3. Crank it back up. Do another pin to pin thing, but set meter on AC volts. idle and 5000 rpms. What's da numbers? Should start 15 -20ish and climb 50ish and more. Again – 3 readings- (Again, connector apart)

(Updated Sept 2016)
    There have been a few misinterpretations so I am revising the notes.....

IF you can find the problem while the bike is shall we say cold, then there is no need to do it hot.
    But if it come out on the stator test to seem to show no clues, then do it hotish, ( before the fan would kick in)

Hope this helps gang.

This quick list will catch the obvious stuff, but if you need to dig deeper check this chart. (Some guys like this chart, my taste, I don’t care for it.)
    http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

Sept 2016
    Since this was written, the number of guys that have followed this and figured out what to do has got to be in the hundreds.....

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
  3. mello dude

mello dude Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Randy. A solo thread for "The Drill" is probly overdue.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks MD. Your finding of this drill was very much a good thing. I just thought it needed its own platform and you deserved the credit. All I did was cut and paste.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks Randy.

6. mello dude

mello dude Member

United States
    Map

Just for the halibut........ It's a silly ass story but here's how it came about....

I have been screwing with bikes and cars for whole lotta years, always been a wrench'n geek foole..... and before the drill, one day with a good beer buzz on, I just got annoyed at all the confusing try this and that, ping and pong round and round stuff that didnt really give a step by step directions on a charging debug. So I decided to set out to write a stupid simple, step by step and the procedure was born.
    A few weeks later, one on my neighbor bike guys, stops by and says, "hey what's that drill you do to check your charging system" DOH! "The Drill"?...... Wasnt gonna name it, but I got smacked in the face.

Cheers and beers gang....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Member

Canada
    Map
    Just a re-post of this very valuable thread which was originated by mello dude and posted by myself. The subject came up the other day on chat and seems this thread was hard to find.

Maybe one of the moderators can make this a sticky, whatever that does for it.

mello dude likes this.
  8. scottbott

scottbott New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    saved it to my bookmarks just in case I cannot find it again and hopefully I will not need it but thanks for posting again it is very good and easily understood, even by me and I am getting thicker the older I get !

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Member

Canada
    Map
    You know you're getting old when you are thicker than your hair!

10. scottbott

scottbott New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    or you have more hair on your arse AND it is darker than the hair on your head!