The Honda HOOt

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jethro911, Feb 26, 2006.

1. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    A few of my buddies back in Wichita want me to join them at the Honda Hoot this year in Knoxville. I looked at the web site and there wasn't much on it that got the fires lit it you know what I mean. I think there was only one photo that actually had a motorcycle in it and it was parked. Has anyone attended? I'm just looking for comments on your experiences there. How does it compare to the WDGAH or the COTU. I will only likely get one kitchen pass this year from the boss and I want to make the most of it.

2. cajunpackrat

cajunpackrat New Member

Map
    My wife and I attended the Hoot last year on a GL1800. I will have to say that the routes we were signed up for were great. Living in SW La., we don't get a chance to run too many twisties and hills. Cherholla Skyway, Deal's Gap, the run up to Cumberland Gap were all great roads. The main gathering/vendor area was interesting for a couple of visits, but the rides were our main attraction. As a new VFR owner, I would definitely like to hit the Tennessee roads again on a sportier ride. Just got back from the Dragon last week. Interesting on the 'wing, its got to be a blast on the new toy

Cajunpackrat

3. JRotten

JRotten New Member

I went to the Honda Hoot in 2004 when I rode my bike all the way from California to Knoxville. Spent the whole week there and I learned something to prepare me for the next time I go. Bring rain gear, a fat wallet, and reserve your slots for the envents you want to partake in early. Even though the time I went, the weather sucked, I still had loads of fun there. It is open to all facets of riders and the vendors there have the latest and greatest of gizmos and gadgets.

The rides there are spectacular and yet they can be a little nerve racking becuase of the large diversity of riders there. As for the Knoxville area, if you want to get a place to stay, reserve it early. I was able to find a place to stay, but I had to travel 19 miles west of Knoxville. Everywhere else was full with no vacancy.

Must see at the Honda Hoot- Deals Gap Hwy 129 (aka Tail of the Dragon), Cumberland Gap, and the other rides route there. The rides are not group rides, but it seems like that since the start time is rather a short window of time for so many riders. Demo rides from other dealerships i.e. Aprilla, Buell, BMW, and of course Honda are available to check some of their models. Depending on how much you want to do, you can completely fill your whole day with different events, however be sure not to book yourself for two things at once (a mistake that I made, no refund).

This year I am considering going since now I am so much closer to the event compared to the 2700 miles I had to travel one way to get there. I just got to see how much I want to spend before I go. I would like to spend the week there, but I take what I can.