The Koreans are coming

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Ferris, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Ferris

Ferris New Member

I've seen some Korean makes start appearing at dealerships around town, but was pretty surprised to see this press release in RRW:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27871

The powerplant is a pretty good Suzuki SV knockoff. This is a big deal - factory support in WERA racing.

Wonder how long it will be before they appear on AMA grids? Start small, win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Same way a guy named Soichiro got the word out.

2. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

WARRANTY: 3 YEAR ENGINE, 18 MONTHS ALL PARTS
    Interesting that they are doing what the Korean car makers did....double, or in some cases, triple the factory warranty of the Jap equivalent.

3. Rev

Rev New Member

I wouldn't mind seeing one up close; have to see if someone local will carry them

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we have a dealer here. they look decent but not up to handa standards. I like the warranty, but it'll be a while before we see how much you'd be using the warranty... Also, I don't remember what the costs were...

5. Ferris

Ferris New Member

This is the bike they plan to campaign -

http://www.umamerica.com/site/usa/motorcycles/sp/features/features2.html#usa_motosp2

I don't think many people believe they are the equal of their Japanese competitors, particularly with suspension and brakes, but these items are easy enough to address. I've been pretty astonished at just how fast the gap is closing.

They could have quietly supported their rider without the press release - make it look like a privateer effort to see how things go. If the bikes blow up, or are perennial backmarkers, their products end up looking worse, not better.

Racing takes real money - and real cojones. WERA is a tough series with good riders on good equipment. It'll be interesting to watch.