The restoration has begun... Now the questions!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Salvo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Hi All,
    OK, so I have started the disassembly of my 1000R, After degreasing the past 20years of gunk off of the bike, it doesn't look to be as bad as it could have although it still could have recieved alot more love than it did! I found that the fella that owned it previously had used JB Weld on the broken front brake handle! Can you believe it?! He must not of had a high regard for his own life! I have a few questions and wanted your inputs... The rivets/nails that hold the vin tag onto the frame, do those of you who restore your bikes remove and replace these or do you just mask it off? I was hoping to be able to get replacement rivets... if so, any idea where to get them?, from Honda? I can see the holes in the front down leg of the frame for mounting the tag on a VF1000F version of the bike, they look like little pinholes almost... That is what makes me wonder if they used a type of "nail"...? And then, the bike has Yoshimura slipons installed, they look well worn inside the muffler, do they repack these? From my research into this model of bike I am getting that it is extremely hard to find new aftermarket pipes? Thanks for the help! Steve

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. supertex

supertex New Member

Dumb. my bike had the left rearset JB welded the the frame.

IMO Remove and replace the rivets if you want it in same spot, don't know if it has to go there but I would put somewhere less visible.

No reason you should have to get anything like this from Honda just make sure the rivets are the right size.

I would definitely repack after a good cleaning. This would be the easiest and most cost effective for you I think.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

3. Salvo

Salvo New Member

OK, Here are a couple shots of before...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are a couple of odd closeups, just so you can get an idea of the lack of care this bike had recieved! I can't wait to give it the attention it so deserves...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come....

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I was taking the engine out tonight and looked at the numbers on the engine... I need your guys expertise! I haven't recieved my manual from Honda yet, can you guys tell me whether or not the engine numbers match the vin? The digits on the engine are, SC16E-2101400, the vin tag reads,JH2SC1603FM000774... Please help! Somewhere I thought I read that not all bike manufacturers used matching numbers between engines and frames??? If I find that this engine has been replaced I'm gonna go ballistic! Thanks in advance! Steve

5. supertex

supertex New Member

Daammmn!

That bike is diiiiiiiiirty! Did they use it for Baja? :crazy: Nice looking shop though.

6. Salvo

Salvo New Member

OK... Well, I've gone to the DMV and gotten my paperwork going and can proceed with the teardown... Here are a few random shots from that ordeal. I found that one of the cams is shot...

[​IMG]

I have got a couple of heads already coming this way! I have been ordering parts here and there... Coming from from all over the globe... I still am amazed at how dirty this bike was!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will keep adding pics as I go... I need to find a place to have the frame blasted at, then I am thinking about going the powdercoat way....:rolleyes:

I have a question for you who have restored the wheels on your bikes... I know that you are NOT supposed to remove the Torx bolts on the rims but my quetsion to you guys is, Can you find any "new/replacement" bolts for the rims? Mine are awful weathered and I want that shiny plated look like they had when new. I would really like to replace them! Any ideas??? Thanks!

7. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Replace the wheels or the torx bolts? You might ask on the Yahoo vf1000r group, I know I read a message from someone there who had replaced the bolts - I know Honda said never to remove them.

Looks like a good project. I am just finishing the process you are just starting. Vf1000r Rebuild - VFRD :biggrin:

So much of the frame is covered up I'd recommend just painting it unless you can get the powder job done cheaply.

You might look at putting some cbr600f2 wheels on; modern sized tires, much lighter and easy bolt up swap.

BTW, that rear shock looks aftermarket, might be rebuildable?

Good luck, mine has taken 21 months so far! :eek:

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Oh My!

Can't believe a bike like that was allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair.:crazy:Good for you though, wish it was mine.:thumbsup:Next vfr world gathering should be at your place and we can take turns slapping the previous owner around.:biggrin:Not suggesting an act of violence Squirrel, tongue in cheek comment, or should I just take it back now?:eek:

9. volks6000

volks6000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow that bike is in bad shape. good luck with the rebuild.

10. supertex

supertex New Member

:smile: You kill me.

11. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    did the bike run when you got it? I like the back tire and chain looks sweet....she can be saved just gonna take time and MONEY good luck...

12. Salvo

Salvo New Member

No, It didn't run. The last time it was registered to be on the road was back in 2002... Thanks for the encouragement, I am sure it will be sweet after it's all done! I can't wait!

13. Salvo

Salvo New Member

OK, Just an update.... I've been buying stuff on Ebay and draining the wallet. I just scored 2 rear seat cowls but I PAID for them... I am wondering if any of you guys who have had engine work done on your restorations could help me... What was the extent of engine/machine work that you had done and roughly what was the cost? Did any of you just hone the cylinders and re-ring the pistons?... I haven't tore into my engine yet but I did have some cylinder heads arrive, I plan on using the rear head and then see which of the cams, out of all 8 that I have between the 4 heads, spec out, wear wise, closest to eachother and using those... I would greatly appreciate any of your stories on what you did in your situations... Thanks!

14. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    man O man i would love to have that bike!!! just save your pennys it's going to just keep draining you wallet i want to see it all done a clean looking, keep up the good work and bring that old girl back life! :thumbsup:

15. slippers1000

slippers1000 New Member

I am beginning the same restoration proses to my vf1000 I would like to see the end results with your bike . Not quite sure how long mine will take.

16. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Salvo, Tho I can not locate my original pictures, My bike was in much worse condition than yours. The key here is to take your time, and clean, repair, replace EVERY part while you got it apart. you do not want to go back into the bike after you fix it back up. THATS when it gets costly. I'll try to help you out with some of your questions:

Rivets - drill em. rivets are rivets, just go get new ones, no need to see honda for those.

VIN numbers - I had my brother-n-law check your VIN. the engine wasnt listed or recorded, so I would say, just go with what you got. I suspect your engine number is actually a serial number.

Torx - yes, you can pull em. I pulled mine, and did it again just a few weeks ago for new tires. I prefer the rim balanced without the hardware.

Repair costs - I spent ~$380 USD on repairs and parts. HOWEVER, I knew many people and got paint for free, I took the parts to work and beadblasted them...etc. so my costs are exactly on the level. I also had a second bike to use for spare parts, before I junked it..bent frame, engine blown, it was crap. theres no tellin how much money I saved from using those spare parts. I did find my cylinder bores to have corrosion, so I bought new pistons, and re-bored the engine to a 736cc total.

I see your engine photo has some duct tape over some ports. I suggest you put a rag in each spark plug hole, (leave the spark plugs in), and also mask over the clutch seal, and blast the entire engine. Repaint it, and bake it with high temp. Use a flat color. I know this sounds bad, but if you blast it and paint it good, when you do get it running, you will be able to find your leaks better... oil, water, fuel, vac etc.

Chain - Of course you are going to change the chain, dont forget to change the sprockets at the same time... dont clean them or blast them, just replace them. But I wanted to mention, your stand is rusty. Again, dont clean this, just replace it. you have ~ 300lbs on that steel... its weak. I would hate to see some of your hard work go back to the drawing board if the stand fails, and the bike falls. Stands arent that expanensive anyway. Same with the center shock. ewww.

Forks - Those look low. too low. Have you pulled the springs, and or checked the oil level?

Mufflers - ditch em too. You can get far better now a days for little cost.

I see the chin laying in the back ground so thats good. Seat, im sure you are going to either replace or recover. But, whats that red thing under the seat on the right side? looks like a mod'd part?

Sorry if this seems like critiqueing, I'm rather excited for you. looks like a super fun time!

17. supertex

supertex New Member

Look again Ghost at the picture of the bike naked. IT's his resevoir for a fox shock. His is just red, which is interesting since mine is metal gray. I like it.

18. Kelvin1

Kelvin1 New Member

Steve,

As with the others on this site I'm glad to see another old classic bike getting restored. I'm new to the Vf1000's so I'll be reading and learning all the way. Please if it's not too much problem take and post a lot of pictures. I just bought a 84VF1000 interceptor as a project I would like to restore back to factory.

Kelvin

19. slippers1000

slippers1000 New Member

My restoration of my vf1000

Here is the bike I am restoring the guy before me painted it with a silver spray can . I will update as time goes on. And I will have many questions But I have a friend to paint it but I can't decide weather to go original or not what do you guys think?
    Slippers1000

Attached Files:

20. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    Last edited: May 11, 2009