The restoration has begun... Now the questions!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Salvo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI,

There is also a possible lawsuit for "Loss of Use" from an long extension of time you were without your vehicle due to mechanics delays beyond reasonable expectations/agreement.

Just in case.

Larry
    VFRrider

2. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Thanks, Larry, for the thought!

At this point I can't bring myself to chase a dry well and certainly cannot invest more money to do so I have lost too much now. I do appreciate the thoughts and concerns that everybody has expressed over the bad situation. I wish it had never came to this.

Thank You though!

;)

Oh, BTW... I will take some video soon and try to get it posted... Hate to admit it but have never tried to upload video yet... lol!

3. tomslyk2002

tomslyk2002 New Member

Steve, I just read this charlie foxtrot. All I can say is you do beautiful work, and some people are just ba$turds.
    'nuff said

4. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    Thanks for the heads up on Dave dodge I know some more reliable engine builders I think I'll try. I'll give Gary from specII a call, see if he can do the porting and cams. He mostly does two strokes but has started doing some four strokes too. And he has twice done my cylinders....for real and on time, and the bike rocks!

Cheers
    577nitro

5. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Hey 577!

Whatever I can do to help fellow riders! Everybody in the community ends up hurting when this stuff takes place...

Good Luck with your project!

;)

6. preston

preston New Member

just came across this thread today. from start to finish it is an emotional ride. it reads like a novel. i cant believe how the bike turned out. amazing. just wanted to give props for an all consuming attention to detail. the end result being a masterpiece. thanks for sharing your work with us. any update? any vid of the beast on the road? thanks.

7. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Hi Preston, Welcome to the boards!

Just an FYI for you.... Just so you know, the bike at the end is not the same bike that was started with... The original bike restoration got stopped dead in it's tracks when I got ripped off by Dave Dodge of Dodge Racing Promotions located in BullHead City, Az... He had my engine for over 2 1/2yrs, was paid in full and delivered( actually I picked it up) to me an engine that was not even remotely close to being a complete blueprinted rebuild... It was in boxes... I tried to post all of the evidence/pics here from my initial thread over at "v4hondabbs"... I tried to post a link to there from here but you have to be a member to view it... It is free to sign up... The pics are disgusting to say the least... Dave Dodge has truly outdone himself on this one...

Anyways, I picked up another bike and that is what you are seeing at the end of the thread... Just so you are aware, You may have already picked up on it, I just want to make sure the story is square....

Not really any updates... I have actually only put a few miles on it, probably less than 250 since getting it. It is right at like 13,969 on the odometer... I really want the bike more for an investment but things may have to change here in the future... I am currently not working after leaving a job of the last 13yrs, couldn't take the BS anymore... And to top that off, my vehicle's engine just took a dump and needs to be replaced, I can't complain, the Jeep has been good to me and made 200,000+ mi.'s.... So I may end up needing to sell or if I do this, I may offer up the package of 4 1000R's that I have for Trade in a Truck of equivalent value... We'll see...

That's about where I'm at... Pressing through and into the world of self employment! ;)

8. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Hang in there man. Shit sometimes comes in truck loads but never lasts forever.

I can't imagine how hard it would have to get for me to part with my R but I've never been mistaken for responsible so...I'd be the homeless guy with one shoe and a woman's coat, sleeping under a bridge next to my unregistered R.

9. Salvo

Salvo New Member

It's all good! I'm not at that point yet... I have some options... Keep you guys posted! ;)

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck, we've all been there. Sometimes you have to part with them and then things turn around and they find their way back home.

11. preston

preston New Member

thats really unfortunate to hear. from reading through this thread you seem very capable of finding what you need to pay bills and keep you happy. if you had to sell off your bikes i would take the good engine and drop it in the resto project and unload everything else. the attention to detail on the bike is crazy. it may not be all original but its something to turn a bad day around by putting a leg over. i plan on getting another 00 R1(my first bike) and restoring it one day. i may just have to send it to you. i wish you good luck out there.

12. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Thanks Preston!

Brighter days are on the way... On the plus side, no longer worrying about having a stroke or heart attack from stress at the old job!

13. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Guys, I would like some opinions... I know my way around bikes but NOT like some of you guys!!! I could use a hand in guessing roughly what to ask pricewise on this stuff... I took the extra parts bikes that came with the deal I got when I purchased my "rider" and cleaned them up and made them as presentable as I could without spending a bunch of time... There are some rare/hard to find pieces in here like the Yoshi exhaust, the tail section cover, the side panels, the headlight surround, a complete( minus the waterpump o-ring ) rebuild gasket set from Honda, along with parts from the original restoration project, some having been restored already such as wheels, frame, fairing surround/mount, forks, etc...

I don't know any of the history on the 2 bikes that came in the deal other than there is a hole in the front head by the valve cover, but there are like 4-6 heads included in the package I will include from the original restoration project...

There are no Titles included however I have the paperwork started on 1, the original project, I never finished the paperwork since running into issues with DD... Person just needs to hit the DMV and finish the transfer, the bike is legally attached to my name as of now...

I really don't know what to ask for the stuff.... I can't afford to "give" it away but I am also not going to screw someone either!

There is enough here that between the 3 bikes a "fairly" complete bike can be built from the included parts... Considering that these are not total, complete bikes, what do you guys think would be close on a "package" price? I'm just looking for roughly.... I really don't have time to piece out and part everything up on Ebay... I am too busy trying to launch my new business...

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts Guys! I really appreciate it!

Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. preston

preston New Member

if i cant offer anything else i want to bump this thread for you. are you selling the restoration project? if so i may know someone who is interested. hes a stickler for oe. i honestly have no reference to assign prices to anything you have. sorry. im only famliar with sportbikes 2000 up. my first bike was a 2000 r1. i start there. send me a pm if you want to sell the project.

15. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Well, Thanks! for the "bump" Preston... Yes, I am selling the original resto project along with the 2 parts bikes... Now that I have my "rider" these are just taking up space that I could allocate for other things... I don't have the time right now to just part out everything and throw it up on Ebay... If they sell as a package, great, if not, I'll hold on to them 'til later on when most of the stuff has dried up and I will still have a small gold mine to let go to the market...
    ;)

16. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    I would think that a couple major likely to sell items fairly easily would be the Yosh exhaust, rear seat cowl, seats, and maybe some of the bodywork. After that, it'll be more time to find the right buyer vs easily selling.

Been a few complete parts/rough restore candidates I've seen selling in the $600-900 range lately, having no title does make the frames a lot less valuable. Seat of the pants quess, the right VFR-1K lover might give you $1500 for the lot, but really hard to say for sure. Treasure trove for the restorer in need, but otherwise not a lot of cross model use.