The things you see on the Yahoo auctions (A.K.A the "RC49 thread").

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RC46-SP2, Mar 18, 2018.

1. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    I often use a buying service in Japan to grab stuff for the VFR and our "Tuned by STI" Liberty wagon...In fact, the SP1 wheel that graces my bike right now came from there.

Anyway, I was searching around the other night and came across a parted-out RC49 being sold.

For those who don't know, the RC49 is a 5th Gen derivative bike made for the Japanese Police "back in the day". Oddly enough - according to the Wikipedia page on it - it was actually produced between 2001-2008!.

Same "basic" bike as a traditional 5th Gen bike, but with a few additions/subtractions...

Firstly, they don't have linked brakes. But they do have ABS.

The rear brake is also ventilated (owing to the use of the rear brake a fair bit at low speeds by the Cops riding them(?)

The oil cooler is a 3-row, rather than a 2-row. Noting that fairing and most of the rest of the bike is "similar enough" to a standard 5th-gen, I've just purchased one of these (including lines), in the hope (misguided perhaps) that I'll have a bolt-in "upgrade" to the 2-row cooler on my bike.

They have an interesting single-seat set up, where the rear body work will come out from the rear of the bike. (i.e. the tail light and part of the duck tail detaches from the rear independently of the rest...

Apologies if this has been covered already...just saw some of the pics on the auction site, and thought people would like a look.

Attached Files:

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Wow, what? Where is this site?
    I'd be very interested on the 3 row cooler.
    Great find mate.

3. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    I wouldn't get too carried away just yet. I may find that when the 'cooler rocks up, it's actually what went into a 6th-gen, and the 5th gen fairings etc. were modified (for the RC49) to "suit" the cooler...

If it does fit, I'll be more than happy to post pics for your amusement. I may even PM you the site details (just to avoid having too many bidding competitors when something decent comes up... ;) )

4. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I found it, but how the hell do you find anything in there?

5. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    My basic searches tend to yield "OK" results. I have on occasion asked for the Kanji character search string I'd use to get fairly specific results...which either yields what I'm after...or nothing at all, depending on the rarity of the item I'm looking for.

Let me know (via PM) what you're after, and I'll see if I can find it. (I can PM you a link to the results if you like...).

6. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    How about this for a replacement 5th Gen dash...?

(and, no, I doubt very strongly that it would work with a standard 5th Gen ECU or dash surround).

Attached Files:

7. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I saw it and wondered the same.
    I think I've got it worked out.
    I'm not after anything in particular.
    You just don't know what you can't live without until you see it.

8. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    Indeed.

Had no idea there'd ever been a 3-row cooler on any 5th-Gen until I saw it. Instant "need". Figured that if that goes straight in, I probably don't need to d*ck around trying to fit the RC51 cooler I have in the garage...

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There’s a guy on one of the VFR Facebook groups who bought a complete and running Japanese VFR police bike. It has the sirens, lights and pretty much what the police use. Not sure how he can operate it on public roads but kind of cool to have.