The usual mods - any "objective" information on their benefits?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by irishrOy, Nov 17, 2017.

1. irishrOy

irishrOy Member

Germany
    Heyho and hello guys!
    After having introduced myself I already want to talk about mods, yeah ;)
    Since I most likely won't be able to ride my VFR until next summer on the street, but I still don't want to just sit by and relax, I am thinking about doing the "usual" mods like snorkel, flapper and the pair-valve.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but:
    Trust me, I have read up on these mods and also used the search-function, too.
    But: Is there any "measurable" gain from doing these things, or are these changes more or less "subjective" and/or make the bike sound better? :)

Sorry in advance if I've opened a can of worms :D

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Active Member

United States
    Map
    irishrOy likes this.
  3. irishrOy

irishrOy Member

Germany
  4. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Member

United States
    I have no objections to what you do to your bike. The important thing is you enjoy it. And welcome to the VFR World.

Now if it were my bike, I would not even bother with any of those mods. They do nothing to improve performance.

De-snorkling increases intake noise.
    Flapper valve disabling will probably take some torque away at low to midrange speeds.
    PAIR elimination doesn't do anything except clean up your engine bay and make it easier to remove the air box.

Mods I've done that resulted in significant gains in performance was Power Commander 5, Suspension upgrade, and my Factory Pro shift Star & Arm kit. Every time I ride my VFR800 I can feel the difference all of the above makes to my bike.

And brighter headlight bulbs also make a significant difference.

irishrOy and Terry Smith like this.
  5. Jakeoster

Jakeoster New Member

United States
    Did the power commander smooth out throttle response?

As a side note I could be wrong, but on other bikes removing the PAIR system if your running an aftermarket exhaust stops the popping sound when you roll off the throttle.

irishrOy likes this.
  6. irishrOy

irishrOy Member

Germany
    I haven't got a PC or anything like that installed yet! :D But I'm thinking about picking one up sooner or later, maybe.

This may seem stupid or weird, to be honest, I actually quite like the exhaust-popping on decel. Easy and cool way to make noise ;) (It pops just a little bit on my stock exhaust, but I am fond of that sound)
    (The stock Viffer is already quite quiet as is, so a little bit of noise here and there is not bad I figure)

7. bigbadbass

bigbadbass Member

United States
    Map
    Other than PAIR valve block offs...I've purposely refrained from any other mods on my '98 5th Gen.
    Though I've got a rare Wolf underseat exhaust, I'm currently running the stock pipe/airbox.

I've replaced thermostat, fuel pressure regulator, injector seals, adjusted valves (11 were off at 30K miles! ), installed iridium spark plugs, performed starter valve synch.....it starts/runs perfect, idle to redline....smooth as silk to boot!
    I did do a Mosfet voltage regulator conversion with some wiring tweaks...reliability related o'course. Charging system perfectly stable after 7 seasons.

Other than needed maintenance on a 19 year old bike...I tend to leave well enough alone...Honda got this one *right* ......pretty much AS IS.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Lint and irishrOy like this.
  8. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Member

United States
    The powercommander definitely smoothed the throttle response from off idle, from part throttle, as well as smooth the VTEC engagement to the point where it wasn't noticeable except for the sound.

If a bike has the small backfiring (popping) upon deceleration I believe it means the fueling is too lean.

9. Jakeoster

Jakeoster New Member

United States
    If it was running lean there’d be a lack of spare fuel to ignite to create the pop while exiting the exhaust. The whole purpose of the pair system is to inject air into the exhaust to ignite unburned fuel post engine combustion before it hits the catalyst for cleaner emissions and to extend the life of the catalytic converter.

I’d kind of like to try a power commander to smooth out the throttle, but I’m looking for a local tuner so I can get it setup on a dyno.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 at 8:58 PM