Thurm hugger for 02

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rshimmel, Mar 22, 2003.

1. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Just mounted a Thurm carbon fiber hugger today on my 02 and it looks bueno. Fairly easy to put on...got it from www.dynamohumm.com at the suggestion of someone else on the list. Well worth it. Really dresses up the rear-end, especially if you've bobbed or removed your back fender. 8)

2. ScootR

ScootR New Member

I switched from the NWS to the Secdem hugger with integrated body color chain guard, see link..

[ftp]http://dynamohumm.com/VFR.htm[/ftp]

3. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

ScootR - I thought about that one but wasn't sure what it would look like and the photo on the Dynamohumm site is kinda small... Any way you can post a pic of your bike with it mounted?

4. ScootR

ScootR New Member

5. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Very nice! very clean look...I like it. I see you've got your passenger pegs off as well, and without those and the rear fender it looks very sharp. I've got hard bags on mine so I'm stuck with the rear pegs (where the bag hangers attach) and the hangers themselves, which aren't quickly removed and replaced... Still, the bags serve my commuting purposes and I love the bike. Ride safe. Rick 8)

6. Donrocco

Donrocco New Member

That does look good!!! Do you guys know where I can get a yellow hugger for a 2000 VFR?

7. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

8. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey, Rick...How about sending us a pic of your bike with the carbon fiber look! I would love to see how it looks! :)

9. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I'd like to....I'm embarassed to say that, althought I can take digital pics, I don't know how or where to upload them to get them into my posts so you guys can see them ??? I don't have my own home-page...anyone have advice? I can follow instructions, I'm just otherwise dense :p

10. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Scott, glad to find you posting on a forum again. Always liked reading your posts at the other place.

Very nice bike. I'm thinking about putting a hugger on my 97 too. Wondering wether to go redor black?

11. Dragun_Slayer

Dragun_Slayer New Member

Map
    Hey Rick,
    I am not an owner of a new VFR yet, but plan on purchasing a 03 model within the next month or so. I have question concerning the bags and tail pack.

Are they a quick release type or is there a lot of work in getting them off the bike?

I understand that the brackets for mounting would stay in place, but was just wondering if the bags are removable one you arrive at your destination. This will play a big part in my decision to get the bags with the bike.

If they cannot be removed without a major hassle, i will probably research some soft luggage since I do not really care to have the luggage on the bike once I get to where I am headed. I do like the idea of being waterproof and lockable versus the soft luggage but do not care to take away from the lines of the bike when just hauling a$$ ;D

Kevin Reinhold
    MRA Secretary
    MRA #270
    www.magnariders.com

12. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Kevin - The OEM bags lift right off once they're unlocked. It's actually a pretty slick mechanism--you can lock them shut and remove them...unless the handle is locked down the bags can be lifted off in an instant. The back of each bag has a channel at the bottom that sits over the lower mounting rail, and the top latches onto the square ring at the top. Very user friendly. They recommend a max of 20 lbs. cargo in each bag, but the bags are voluminous so lots of small light stuff is not a problem, Good luck! ;)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Rick,
    That is what i was wanting to hear. Are the mounting brackets Fugly with the bags removed or what?

14. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Yeah, no kidding. That's the biggest drawback cause they Fup the cool back end on the bike. :-/ Otherwise, no probs... 8)

15. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Managed to post up some pics to my earthlink home page, including cf hugger (pics not too clear, sorry) and fender-removed shot (with OEM bag brackets in place)...
    Try http://home.earthlink.net/~rshimmel/
    ride safe! 8)

16. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    ScootR...that Secdem chainguard/rear fender unit looks SWEET!!!

$300 :eek: ...that's the painful part...lol

RF

**It's actually $300 Canadian , so cheaper for US....I just ordered mine ;D