Time to finish the project

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Thereaper, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    I have been rebuilding a 2003 VFR for a couple of years. I bought it wrecked and have most the hard parts. I finaly have the money to finish it. I need advise on the Plastics. I need a whole set. What should I get? Used or new? aftermarket or factory.? I also need the headlight. Im having a little trouble finding one. I am just ready to ride it. Any info would be great and any parts out there like An oil cooler or clutch/brake levers would be great. Thanks

2. Navman

Navman New Member

Map
    Hey reaper, how about some progress photo's so we can see how it's going? The plastics, if you can get your hands on a second hand set in good nick and maybe have them repainted with new decals etc it would have to be more cost effective than new stuff. Don't know about the aftermarket plastics, whether they fit properly and their durability would be questionable, but I could be wrong......have you tried bike wreckers for the headlight and other parts. It's a popular bike so I couldn't image being a shortage of 2nd hand parts avail.

Cheers,
    Navman

3. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Ebay is your friend Reaper.

Just keep an eye out,those parts you need will pop up from time to time.
    As Navman stated used OEM plastics will be much cheaper than new and you know they'll fit properly.
    Aftermarket plastics might/might not fit properly,that's your call.

Click me>>>>>Oil cooler & lines VFR800 interceptor vfr 800 03 - eBay (item 300505169678 end time Jan-13-11 19:55:11 PST)

Click me too>>>>vfr800 fairing items - Get great deals on eBay Motors, VFR800 items on eBay.com!

If the Seller has other items for sale or has a private store make sure to look there too. It's a slow tedious process but that's usually where you come across those hard to find items you're looking for.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  4. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    thanks for the all the info. I am getting pumped about the build. Ill get pics up soon on this thread.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I would stay with OEM , just keeping future repairs in mind as aftermarket may not mate well or color match well. What color are you thinking of going with? Will keep my eyes open for what you are after if I know what paint you want. I have come up with some good deals on E-bay but it does take some time and alot of looking.

6. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Im working on a custom kit that puts a 7 inch wide rear wheel on the bike. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. GuitarX

GuitarX New Member

Personally I'd stick with a stock rim or one from another year or bike that fits. One of the wonderful things about a VFR is its surprisingly good sportbike-like handling. Why screw that up? Just one opinion to consider. I think you'll regret the car wheel in the long run.

8. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I have a red tail section w/ rear lights and black solo cowl
    if you're interested

9. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Has anyone tried the china front wave rotors? I know they are more than likely junk but they are so cheap. Also do 1998 and up front rotors work on the sixth gen.? thanks all

10. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Yeah Reaper,Joey_Dude did. Click me.>>>>>http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/29441-review-hong-kong-brake-rotors.html

Yeah again Reaper,the '98 to '01 5th gen. front brake rotors have the exact same part numbers as your '03

Right front brake rotor part number 45120-MCW-H11.
    Left front brake rotor part number 45220-MBG-013.

11. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Thanks

Ok I will try the aftermarket china brakes, thats great to hear. Now I need to replace the triange piece that conects the dog bone and the shock. Are they gen specific or are the 5th and the sixth the same

12. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

The triangle suspension links appear to be gen. specific Reaper,the part numbers are different.

5th gen. triangle part number 52461-MBG-000.

6th gen. triangle part number 52461-MCW-D00

13. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Man thanks for all the help. I think I can get one for my year it just takes a bit of looking.
    My bike only has 1500 miles and has not been on the rode in several years. I havent started it in over a year. What kind of oil should I run. I dont know if its broke in enough for synthetic. And I would be interested in the tail light and section thanks just shoot me a number 02 vfr.

14. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

No probs my friend just tryin' to help out a fellow '03 VFR800 owner.

BTW Reaper-Are you still looking for a set of clutch/brake levers for your bike?

I was poking around my parts shelf today and found this set of "carbon look" aluminum levers that I never used on my '03. If you need them for your build you're welcome to them.

[​IMG]

15. Cogswell

Cogswell New Member

United States
    Besides ebay, you can also use allofcraigs.com to do nationwide searches on Craigslist for deals. There might be some sellers who would work with you on shipping. I would be embarassed to put some of the busted up OEM plastic on ebay that some sellers do but occasionally there's a gem. Also try using the parts search feature on Cycletrader.com. When you're in there, you'll put in the year and model (unfortunately not the range of years - no big deal, it just takes longer), and you'll see a parts fiche much like if you were on a Honda dealer's site. Then click on the part number and you'll get a number of vendors offering the part at various prices. If you really get stumped and can't take the OEM prices, try ebay.uk. The Brits have lots more bikes and there is a well developed market for used "spares". You will encounter a steep exchange rate and expensive shipping, but it could still possibly beat new prices here. Personally I'd stick with OEM plastic and paint to my satisfaction - that way I could mix and match whatever I could find and then have it all come out the same in the end. Always love to see pics of a project so post 'em up as you go. Best of luck.

16. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Thanks for all the help. PM sent to both part offers. I cant figure out how to upload pics. I am so dumb ill keep trying Got the exaust fixed and now i need oil and a batt to let her run a while. Next buy is tires any suggestions.?

17. GuitarX

GuitarX New Member

You'll get a million different answers on this one but my humble opinion is that you absolutely cannot beat the Michelin Road series on the VFR.

18. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    OK Im going to try to upload pics. I got the oil and the tire problem handled. I am going to get some header wrap and order the rotors in the morning. It was warm for two days and I got Spring fever like no other. Thank God they are calling for a foot of snow and some ice. LIKE A COLD SHOWER AHAHAH

Attached Files:

19. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Rear wheel conversion with a twist.

working on a new wheel kit wish me luck

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  20. Thereaper

Thereaper New Member

Map
    Ok Got It Running

I had run the bike when I first bought it. It smoked a lot and I had to put new plugs in it because it had been on its side for god knows how long. I got it running today for the first time in a couple years. It needs new exhaust gaskets on the front. The old brass ones got smashed in the wreck when the headers took a hit. I noticed a miss and after it cooled I pulled the plugs. They were new a couple years ago but I ran old gas in it and with all the old oil it had to burn out from before they were fouled already. I cleaned them and it ran better but I need to fix the exhaust leak. It runs good though and I let it run up to temp. I had to clean the tank out prior to starting and that was fun. It was gunked from sitting for years with old gas before I got it. I am debating on running the valves before finishing up the project. 1500 miles on the bike, I cant decide.