Tire wear, D204's & cords showing

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Timbercat, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

I have 16500km on the original Dunlop 204's on my 98 which is decent mileage. I bought the bike with 8000km last fall from a guy who never abused it and left 1" chicken strips on the sides of the tires. Needless to say they were somewhat squared off when I started with them.
    I felt confident with the bike handling. I never felt confident with the tires particularly in the tight twisties when going past the chicken strips. Always felt like a momentary loss of grip in the transition.
    Are the D204's as bad as I have read? I have nothing to compare to since I last rode 14 years ago on a Ninja 600.
    I just changed my Regulator yesterday and noticed a 5" by 1/8" strip in the center of the rear tire where cord is showing, like I spun on debris and stripped away what little rubber was left! I was trying to get max mileage cause the bills of life keep coming in(new furnace or more toys, hmmmm?).
    Tell me I will be ok to drive 15 miles to the dealer for new tires or am I playing with fire again.
    I am planning to go with the Conti Road Attacks very soon...$500 CDN dealer installed.

Cheers with beers!

2. hustond

hustond New Member

You'll be happy

I just went with the same tires on my 97 and I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I too just bought an old 98 VFR with the original 204 Dunlop on the front and it is really hard and slippery. I have been riding on the new Qualifiers on my last fifth gen and my Ducati. They really stick well and rarely scare me even when pushed past their limits. I had some huge slides this spring on my Duc and was always able to get her back. Good tires or good luck, either way, I'm a believer and I'm getting another set for my new fifth gen bike.

I have ridden a rear tire worn all the way to the cord two inches wide for the entire circumference about thirty miles. I would not recommend it as it is realy slippery. I was young and foolish when I did it!