To REVFR or knot - that is the ?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by tater, May 17, 2006.

1. tater

tater New Member

Map
    Newvfree here:
    Browsing the local dealer for a friend who wants a 1100Shadow I came upon an 03 VFR (of course) with 1376 miles - asking was $6949 before etc...Dlr said $6300 would do it. Then I said - ? take my 02 with 27,500 on a trade. He said $1,500+tax and it's done. What would you do????? What did I do? Same thing you would do------write the check!!!!!!

I then proceeded to test drive from my recently moved-in home in Fruita, CO (from Lompoc/Santa Maria, CA) to Gateway,CO (home of the just opened classic car museum of the Discovery channel meister John Hendricks who just centerpieced the $3.2 million Olds designed by Harley Earl and bought from Barrett-Jackson in Phoenix last year) 140 mi round-trip. The 44 mile one way route 141to Gateway is "VFR rated" as "ecstatic". The few cattle guards mean business - a motorist flashedlightswarning me as I then quickly came upon one poor "veal" that was lost on the road and was criss-crossing blind yellow curves nervously - I downshifted and it jumped/strafed a barbwire fence - probably saving its life and that of a motorist.

The new 03 VFR was on Dunlop SportmaxII D204's - the traded-in 02 was on Michelin Pilot Road. The former was preferred but the latter would wear 2x as long. The 02 came from the previous owner with Pirelli Diablo Corsas - It seems the fronts (if it rains) will make a "track" for the rears to follow in as the rears center have no grooves - the problem was I couldn't tell how much wear was on them as I hobbled into town from a ride - the rear was shredded - it was not good. I was not a "tire guy" until these tires discovered me - those Diablos are like "cheating".

Anyway, I had my finest sporty ride to date - on the first time ridden 03.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Heck yeah, you paid 1500 to rollback you odometer to brand new almost and get a year newer. Can't blame you there...

3. tater

tater New Member

Map
    Thanks - PS: I just updated the story.