Torn between VFR800 (5th gen) and Ninja 650R

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wildwhl, Apr 27, 2010.

1. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

Hey VFRWorld.

Long time rider, basic details are: Started on a VTR 250 (well, actually an RM80) about 22 years ago, then a Sportster 1200, Hawk GT 650, took a couple years off, CBR600, then Ducati 620 ie, then back to the dirt for a few years.

I turn 40 Monday (this is just a head start on the mid-life crisis, not the real thing) and I've decided to get back on the street after a 5 year hiatus.

When I sold the Ducati, I told myself my next bike would be a sport-tourer, either VFR800 or BMW something.

I've been reading, researching, and asking questions everywhere. My intended use is a 30 minute commute - mixed hiway/city - daily, and of course the fun weekend jaunts.

I'm a short bastard - 5'6" - but the VFR while feeling heavy, doesn't feel too big (rode one long time ago, haven't recently).

Anyhow - I can pick up a clean 5th gen with 12k miles for <$3K, or the Kawi is about the same. Kawi seems super nimble, but, well - it is not a HONDA!

Your task - CONVINCE ME TO GROW UP AND BUY A VFR :crazy:

Thanks.

WW

2. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Tandem twin or V-4? hhmmmmm.....
    [​IMG]

3. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Serriously, You will get alot more of use and fun out of the Interceptor, IMHO.

4. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

I suspect Dirty Harry is right...errr...you are right...but is it too cumbersome for a little dude to commute on? AND should I hold out for a 6th gen?

WW

5. mgvfr

mgvfr New Member

I dunno dude, a kawasaki?
    Seriosuly it comes down to what your more comfortable on, a viffer can be a bit of a beast, its true, but I find that on the highway ( most of my riding) particularly its a lot more planted than my previous bikes and just as much if not more fun in the twisties.
    Also with a set of cans on it it will sound a lot better than a ninja. If you want to go smaller at least maybe a cbr600 or a hornet?
    Good luck with it.
    Cheers
    MGVFR

6. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I have rode both the VFR800's a bit and gotta say I personally like the Gen 5 better, but to each his own. The Ninja 650's are a prety cool little bike, but it IS a little bike. As far as being Cumbersome, I bet with your experiance riding the bikes you have, the VFR will be among the most easy to manuver and smother accross the revs.

7. vfr sam

vfr sam New Member

I am 6foot 180lbs. while riding, my 99 feels like a 250, but a hard stop and the lbs catch up quick but I think it's the greatest bike ever. I have had mine for about 18 months , put over12,000 miles on it I CAN KEEP UP WITH MY FRIENDS CBR1000(but I'll never beat him dammit) I CAN RIDE ALL DAY AND HE WANTS TO STOP EVERY 30 MINUTES for a rest.

pi-on likes this.
  8. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think that the VFR is too cumbersome to commute on, I do it every day. I am 5'11" and have a 31" inseam. Some days I seem to touch the ground better than others but I have no problem moving the bike around in/out of traffic, lights, signs, etc.

FWIW, I have tried many different bikes and I simply haven't been on a better bike for every day commuting. I have almost the exact same commute you describe with 3 miles of country roads, 20 of highway, and 3-7 in town depending on where I'm going. I do it almost every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. I've tried it on the cruisers, various sport bikes, and a full dresser. The cruisers don't seem to have the sportiness that you want on the weekend, the sportbikes wear on your body, and the full dresser was just way too much. The VFR gives me the comfort and storage of the cruiser coupled with the power and style of the sportbike. I can still ride two up or load it down with stuff for a trip. Simply put there are other bikes that excel in specific areas and utterly fail in others while the VFR does everything very well.

As for the 6th gen, that is totally up to you. Some hate VTEC, some love it. I've never had an issue with it and barely even know it is there now that I've done some exhaust mods and added a Power Commander. Personally I dig the styling of the 6th gen WAYYYYYYY more than the 5th. Both are rock solid bikes. I've not ridden the 5th gen to compare them so I can only speak for the 6th gen and say that I absolutely love the bike.

Compared to the Ninja, the VFR is going to offer a MUCH more comfortable bike that when ridden properly will keep up with other bikes just fine. I have friends with liter bikes (RSV, 999r, R1, etc) and have no problems staying with them when we go out and play yet I get to go further without getting gas and I am still ready for more when the others are complaining that they are sore and ready to head back. Another thing that the VFR has going for it are factory hardbags, at least for the 6th gen. Corbin beetle bags are available for the 5th gen but I don't think there was a factory option for them. I don't know what I did before I got my bags as I missed them dearly when I switch from the cruiser and didn't have them on my VFR. I carried everything in a backpack all of the time and it sucked. Now I'm down to only needing the backpack when I carry my laptop.

You mention that you're prepping for the mid-life crisis and turning 40. A lot of times this is accompanied by the urge to do some road trips around the US. The Ninja isn't going to fair well with you on this due to the aggressive riding position however the VFR will be great for the LOOOOOOONG haul. I've put 450 mile days on the VFR and could have gone more if needed.

9. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

All good input. Just for the record, the 650R Ninja is a more upright riding position than the VFR is (or seems to be to me). Not a sportbike, much more of a standard...

There is another (VFR) nearby in Silver - an '04 ABS with the matching hardbags, but it is more ($5,500 asking)...only like 3900 miles or so though.

Really, really leaning towards the VFR. I've owned about 10 Honda motorcycles and loved every one of them, dirt and street. Never had a 'wasucki....lol.

I suppose I could always lower the VFR if it seemed too much - but I always managed on the CBR600(F3) just fine.

WW

10. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Price seems about right but I'd personally try to talk him down. I picked up my 04 last year without bags and 15k on the clock for 5300..only reason I couldn't get him to come down was because he had just done the 16k service @$750... which was fair to me. Used bags are generally in the 500-600 range so with that few of miles it isn't bad.

Lowering the VFR is super easy to do and doesn't even cost anything. there are a few parts that you just reverse and it drops it right down an inch or so.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I like both, but I ride the VFR. For the long run the VFR is probably best bang for the buck. It can ride a lot further comfortably and is nimble while not quite as nimble as that little ninja...

12. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'll sell you a mint 2001 Red one with less than 4000 miles on it with $900 in aftermarket goodies for $4500. There is exactly one blemish on the entire bike.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

13. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    The V4 is a much better balanced motor compared to parallel-2. If you go with the Kawi, you will jade quickly and want more. On the other hand, those Kawi p-2's are known to be very durable, dont know if they're as long lasting as the V4s.

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    That ain't much of a tear for me, the Ninja would be fun for a minute and along term yawn fest afterward.

15. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

Wow, such a heavy VFR bias here, lol

Keep it up....really leaning to ride red now...

WW

16. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I'm on my first NOT-HONDA ever right now, an '04 FZ1. But I sang the praised of the Honda V4 since my magna. I personally like the inline 4 bikes but the misses has the gen 3 and there is no getting her away from it.

17. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    the 650r ninja isn't that great...the zx-6r however is much better of a beast. but for the choice its easy...the vfr has it hands down.

i raced a 08 650 ninja vs my 87 vfr700 and he barley got me at 110 by 1 bike length

18. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I saw a guy flat tear up the corners on the track this weekend with a Ninja 650. It's a cool bike and has been compared to a the SV650. If a person has shorter legs it would probably make sense to get the shorter bike. Then again, you can ride just about anything for a 30 minute commute.

People here will tell you to get the VFR. Go to a Kawasaki forum you will probably get a different answer. I think you probably already know what you want, so go get it!

:EDIT: The Ninja is only 0.6" shorter than either the 5th gen or the 6th gen (both generations have the same seat height).

19. wildwhl

wildwhl New Member

Seat height isn't the issue, however real and perceived weight might be.

Screw it - I started my street riding life on an Interceptor (just a little 250) and you know what? That's where I belong.

Going to hammer out the deal on the '99 this weekend. Guess I should tell Mrs. Wheel I'm getting my helmet out (first clue I wasn't done - kept both helmets and all my riding gear when I sold the Ducati :D )

WW

20. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Don't get me wrong, I want a smaller twin for a fun once in a while ride but need a bigger bike for all around use.