Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by 3dogs, Jul 19, 2007.

1. 3dogs

3dogs New Member

This Could Be You!
    [​IMG]
    Cheif instructor Ron Ariela of Team Arziona demonistrates correct body position for cornering his VFR while draging his knee.
    Approximate speed in this photo, 28 mph, diameter of circle -- 40 feet.

The Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic will be in its third year in locations across the country including Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Chicago, Denver, Poughkeepsie N.Y., Albany and Frederick Maryland. This class is based on the best-selling book Total Control by Lee Parks. Click on the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic link above for specific information about what is taught and how we teach it.

Total Control Classes in Maryland

My name is Tracy Martin and I teach the class in Frederick Maryland. I am offering a group discount for VFRWorld forum members. Class discounts for other training sites may be different. Please contact them to see what they offer. The discount for the class taught in Frederick MD is as follows:
    • 6 to 11 students will receive $25 off the class price of $295.
    • 12 students will receive $50 off the class price.
    The discount applies when members sign up, and pay, for a specific class date as a group. Please call (410-905-1918) to discuss prospective class dates.

The full amount for the class ($295 per student) must be paid to Frederick Community College where the class is taught. After the class is over I will mail one check for the discount amount to whomever the group designates. Money should be colleted by one group member and a personnel check, or money order for the entire amount should be made out to Frederick Community College and sent to my address. Send me an email (address below) to get my mailing address.

Note: If you live outside of Frederick County Maryland please add $5 to the cost of the class per student. If you live outside of Maryland, please add $10 to the cost of the class per student.

College registration Forms can be downloaded from the Total Control website, filled out by each student and brought to class. Don’t use your social security number on the form, but do include your birth date. I will register you the day of the class and take care of the considerable paperwork at the college.

If you have any questions about what is taught in the class or the registration process please visit the Total Control website. If you still have questions please email me at tracy.martin@yahoo.com or call 410-905-1918.

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Everyone!

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tracy's class is totally worth attending. There are a fair number of VFRWorld members in Maryland, so your drive would not be that far.

A participant in the class I attended drove all the way from Michigan to Frederick, MD!?!?

This class was exactly what I had been looking for in increasing my cornering skill. I had hit a plateau in my riding skill these past 2 years. And I was reading books and watching videos, but I could not tell if I was executing the correct techniques. I even started to experiment with hanging off. However, I had the gut feeling my hanging off was being done incorrectly. My gut feeling was correct; I was doing it wrong! So take the money you were going to spend on a power commander, slip-on pipe, whatever, and invest in something that will open another door into your riding skill level. All those aftermarket parts won't make you a better rider, but classes like this do, and these skills can go with any motorcycle.

I came out of the class with more cornering knowledge and a smile on face that won't go away! Hell, I went out and purchased the same cones used in the exercises so I can practice by my house!

BZ

3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Tracy is a great person and rider and man does he know motorcycle suspension. I have taken the Lee Parks ARC and also took the ARC to be a Coach. I am in NYC and I am working with Christine in Poughkeepsie. Anyone in the NYC TRI-State Area can get the Lee Parks ARC at Dutchess County Community College in Poughkeepsie, NY. Christine is a wonderful person who taught me how to propler lean and drag a knee. I will be around - see ya!!!

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    What if I don't have pants with knee sliders? What equipment does the student need to bring?

5. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    You will need a bike, helmet, gloves, leather pants and jacket and boots. They will provide knee sliders when necessary. The clinic is both classroom and riding exercises on the riding range, and includes breakfast and lunch. The classroom training includes in depth information on motorcycle suspensions and you also get to setup your bike's suspension. The riding exercises are done in small groups and you work up to doing transitions (figure eights). The clinic is more than worth the money and excellent training for someone who wants to do trackdays. If you go to the clinic in Maryland tell Tracy that Ed send his regards and is still telling the Stevie Wonder joke in the Clinic training in Poughkeepsie. If you can pickup a copy of the Total Control book before doing the clinic - I did and it helped a lot!!!! Lee Parks is a wonderful and great person and a real rider. I took the both the ARC Clinic and ARC Trainer Clinic on a Suzuki Intruder, and have since gotten a VFR. I personally highly recommend the Lee Parks ARC training.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Nozzle:

You don't have to drag your knee in class, but they teach the technique. My knees did not touch, but were close, or so I was told. There was a guy on a Ducati Monster in full gear except he was wearing jeans and he was still hanging off pretty well.

And emon is right about Tracy and suspensions. I finally understand the basics of motorcycle suspensions. Next year I plan on some serious changes to the 97 from what I learned in total control.

You'll love it nozzle. Actually, go buy some pants with sliders!

BZ

7. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    wished i could find one of these clinics around my area sounds like a great experince

8. 3dogs

3dogs New Member

Chomper, You can take the Total Control class in Tacoma WA at Puget Sound Safety. Click here for their website.

9. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for the heads up noticed both schools have a class in september in Olympia makes for a long day but not that far should do it im sure it would be worth it.

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    This past Saturday I was in Frederick, MD attending a Total Control Skills Practice Day with fellow VFRWorld member Racer X (Eric).

After what KC-10FE posted about his training and the thread Pudacuta (spelled wrong) posted about people not taking even the MSF course, Bubba Zanetti thought to himself "Hmmm, how can my fellow vifferati spend that hard earned economic stimulus check Predident Bush has worked so hard to get us?"

Above is the answer!

There is a level two now! Check it out!

FrankoQ below was nice enough to post the link or click on it above!

BZ

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  11. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Bubba, the link does not work...
    Here is the link http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/index.html

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks FrankoQ!

13. pvancle

pvancle New Member

I took Lee's class in San Mateo, CA in May (2009). Lee is fantastic! He total gets why most riders don't advance their riding skills and get stuck with their old habits.

Years ago (2003) I read his book Total Control and it changed the way I rode my Valkyrie. Before reading the book, I had yet another close call, this time on Lucas Valley Road in Marin County. I remember at the time thinking that maybe motorcycling wasn't fun anymore. How many times had I pushed it only to realize that I was in too far and made the wrong decision--this time standing up mid corner and almost dumping the bike off the road into a ditch.

What I liked about Lee's book was that any rider could improve, not just sport bike riders--but cruisers too. After reading his book, I learned to look over the mirror while cornering. Now imagine yourself on a Valkyrie; stretch your arms out with your hands about three feet apart. To look over the mirror, you need move your body way to one side or the other. Suddenly, I was hanging of the bike and plopping around corners--and it was fun!

Since buying a VFR, I knew what I had to do to get around corners, but not really sure how to do it. The body position on the VFR is very different. Last Nov (2008) at the San Mateo Motorcycle Show, Lee gave a presentation on the 10 steps to cornering. A woman in the audience volunteered to "hang-off" the bike while Lee and four volunteers (me included) held the bike steady and lowered it to the ground to simulate leaning into a corner. Every time the bike leaned over, the volunteer scrambled back on top of the bike--essentially counter-balancing the lean. It was comical but instructive; our natural tendency is stay on top of the bike.

From that half-hour presentation, I learned to lean off the VFR and I began applying the technique immediately. Yet something wasn't right. I didn't feel 100% comfortable, like I could handle an Oh-Sh*t moment mid-corner. I found myself either hesitating or being non-committal to the corner and only fully committing when I could see the exit. Also, small movements of the bike’s suspension from on throttle/off throttle didn't instill confidence. Something wasn't right, and I couldn't put my finger on it.

I took Lee's course in May. Lee's instructors confirmed that I was using the right cornering technique--my knee was almost all of the way down and I was gladly hanging off the bike. Where I had the most problems in the class was with trail braking with the front brake--something that I've never done before. I've trail braked with the rear, but never understood the hand position to give both throttle and brake at the same time. To be honest, two days of training was not enough time for me to master trail braking--however, there were several Ah-ha moments when I realized that trail braking could give me the confidence that I needed.

One training exercise we did was simulating on object in the road while mid corner. Basically, what we had to do was go into a corner as normal, brake mid way, stand the bike up to avoid the obstacle, and then continue through the corner. Each time I messed up this exercise, either running over the obstacle or going way wide (like off the proverbial road). For the final attempt, Lee stood mid corner (whereas before it was a cone marker). Now, let me tell you I was nervous, because I didn't want to run Lee over. Yet, I didn't want to screw up either. So, I went into the corner with some trail brake, gently rolled off the throttle while applying increasing brake--classic text book stuff, and lo and behold, the suspension was rock steady and lifting the bike up with knee still down was a piece of cake. And then flopping back into the corner was no problem--decreasing brake, increasing throttle. I really felt that I had that total control in that corner.

Coming out of the class on my daily commute, I began seeing many opportunities for trail braking and another technique that I had a hard time mastering in the class--speed down shifting. Now I don't think about. Coming up to a corner (perhaps a 90 degree left hander), I instinctively speed down shift (to get the RPM up), get myself into position, trail brake, flop into the turn, and power through the corner--all while lane splitting. I easily power through bumper-to-bumper commute traffic both in the city and on the highways. Lee has done it again. He’s made motorcycling even more fun for me. And at the same time gave me the tools to help me be confidence that I can ride safely and be in total control.

I recommend Lee’s (or any of his excellent instructors’) class to anyone who has been motorcycling for a while and hasn't seen improvements. I see that he’s coming back to San Mateo in Sept. I just might take it again—this time on the Valkryie with the missus.

14. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Planning on going to the September session in Columbia, MD.
    Anyone else interested?

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^^^

Have fun!

BZ

16. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm interested. I bookmarked the page.

17. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

I'm about 70% sure I will go. I will confirm by next week.

18. Cardiackid

Cardiackid New Member

I also can recommend the course. A great group of instructors in Troy, NY, at Hudson Valley Community College. I took level one ARC. I will be taking the level two when my schedule allows. The course gave me confidence in My Self, My Bike, and My ability to evaluate my own riding on a daily basis.

19. jake691980

jake691980 New Member

I was wondering if yall might know of any couses in the south east part of the country. I would perfer one in the carolinas but any in the southeast would be nice.
    \

20. sparky750

sparky750 New Member

my wife will be attending the level one course in jacksonville, fl on feb 20, '10. here's the link:Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic