Total Control School

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Bubba Zanetti, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all!

I just completed the Lee Park's Total Control School class and I have to say it was much fun! I only have one thing I wish would have happened and that more ride time! Anyway, for those of you wanting to get prepped for a track day, or just want to really learn how to hang off your bike check out the link www.totalcontroltraining.net or google Lee Park's Total Control School. I did my class in Frederick, Maryland. (Hi DCnatedawg) For its price I thought it was worth it!

Now for my technical question. During the exercises the bikes just sit and run, so fan was running quite a bit. Well it killed my battery! I just replaced my battery and R/R last month? The bike died at the very end of the day, and I made a gas stop and after filling up, it started up! No issues. Got home at tested the battery and it read 13.5 volts and reved the engine and got the 14.5 volts and up reading!? And when I replaced the R/R I tested the stator and it was fine?!

So should I get a new battery or just throw it on the charger? Or did I toast my whole f-ing system? Opinions please!

Thanks BZ

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm not an electrical geek, but if it was idling alot with the fan running, my guess is its draining hard on the battery and not getting enuff revs over all to get the system charging enuff.

My first move would be to get it on a long trickle charge over nite - (disconnect both ground and positive) and see what happens after that.

Good luck Bubba,
    MD

3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Bubba: Sounds like you had fun. 2nd MD... If your battery takes water, ensure it has water in every cell prior to charging. Use distilled water. If you had it cycling up and down all day, you may have had some fluid evaporate and the lead plate(s) exposed... this will eat up your batter for sure.

Don't forget you can bump-start her even if the batter won't crank the starter. Use a high gear on even a slight hill and you're good.

- Paul

btw...Did you see my old boss there? I think he from school with a name like that, though it was micromanagement.

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Guys!

I am charging the battery!
    BZ

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    OK

Battery is charged and reading 13.02 volts. That's by itself. I have not put it back in the bike yet, so I'll take more readings tonight! And I have a sealed battery Nozzle, so the water levels can't be checked.

I just hope the R/R made it through the rough treatment!

BZ

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    BZ:

Can you use a (bright) light behind the battery to visualize the fluid level & ensure the fluid in each cell is nearly the same and above the cells. A bright light and tilting the battery to see the fluid can verify this. If the plastic is really opaque/black, it might be too hard. You can't add fluid, but you could determine it was time for shopping.

One bad cell will allow you to get the 13-14 unloaded, but will not help you with cranking the starter.... especially when the twin headlamps come on immediately with the ignition.