Touring Helmets?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Jeff_Barrett, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That review was based on the Pure Carbon, not the Pure Glass though ... the Pure Glass is about 1650 grams. In comparison, the Kestrel Carbon is 1350 grams, which is a lot. The other hand, the Monaco gets stellar reviews for noise and ventilation.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ask Lint what he thinks, he's had it now for a couple of day's and even rode in the rain. Haven't looked back a few pages so he may have given a responce. ..
    When I saw him Sat to watch supercross he raved about it....just remember the sizes run small, so usually I take a large but his extra large fit perfectly with my glasses as well

3. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    If it were me, I would deal with a little extra weight and be able to enjoy riding a bit longer before the ringing in the ears sets in.

Revzilla has the pure carbon with a white/gold scheme on it for $299 right now (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-window-pure-carbon-helmet) vs the carbon for $349 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-carbon-helmet) vs. the straight Monaco for $219 (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet).

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, sadly disappointed. Between extortionary shipping costs and outrageous exchange rates, I'm easily tagging on an extra $100+ to the cost of the helmet from the USA.

Looks like I might be stuck with HJC ... everything else is outrageously priced up here.

5. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Wish there was some way that we could help you out. I just had a look at http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/nolan-n91-helmet.html , and eep, those are expensive. $350cdn at the current exchange is $277usd; I paid about $50 less for my N91.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  7. pchmotoho

pchmotoho New Member

Map
    The Shoei GT Air is the best overall helmet I have ever owned.

8. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Depends on what you really want, what you are prepared to pay for it, and what compromises you are prepared to accept.

At the top end of the spectrum - if you want a top quality flip front helmet with all the extras - then I can strongly recommend the Schuberth C3Pro fitted with their SRC Bluetooth communications collar (I now have two). BUT there is no avoiding the big downside - even if you get a business discount they are outrageously expensive. The upside is these helmets are light (142g), really quiet - even compared with my previous AGV full face, incredibly strong and well made helmets which can handle robust handling from daily riding, have good peripheral vision, crystal clear visor is very scratch resistant and comes with pin-lock fittings, the internal dark visor works well and is fine if you wear prescription glasses, and comes down just far enough to leave a clear section to read instruments. Removable (replaceable and washable) padding, superb audio system can support GPS, phone and bike to bike coms.

At the opposite end of the scale (in Europe at least) is the Viper RSV131 which on the face of it offers similar functions but is a lot heavier, has relatively poor peripheral vision, will progressively fall to bits, at speed the amount of wind noise from the ventilation and poor quality seals means you cannot hear the GPS instructions, the visor can fog up without warning and gets scratched very easily, the seals leak allowing rain to run down inside the visor... But the plus point is it is relatively cheap from Amazon...

SkiMad

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    My helmet is the best one there is. I am not going to tell anyone what it is because everyone will want one.

10. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    I just went through this process as well. I was come from a Nolan N90. For me I created a list of minimum requirements and it went like this.

Budget $300 - $500
    Modular
    Fit
    Light weight
    Must be able to get helmet on without taking my glasses off.
    Internal Sun Shade
    etc.

I tried a boat load of helmets on and fit and price became critical. Do not buy without trying on. I really wanted to try the HJC RPHA MAX but no one locally carried it, but from what I have read it had great reviews.

I ended up with the Nolan N104, not the N104 Evo. I like it a lot except for the wind noise, although quieter than my N90. It is very light and my SENA 10s head set mounts easily to it. The weight of the helmet has reduced or eliminated my neck pain after all day of riding.

One last note you will really never know how good a helmet is until your head hits the pavement. I hope none of us find out the hard way. Oh that is why I had to replace the N90. My head hit the pavement at 40mph and I walked away.

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I have been emailing back and forth with Damien at LaZer in Belgium. I asked him if there are any dealers in Canada. I'll let you know what I hear.

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks, Lint ... let me know ... I'm not in a huge rush now since it's still pretty cold / snowy here, and I can't take advantage of the closeouts in the USA.

13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Scratch that, those are bicycle helmets. oops

ETA: No Canada Distributors. Revzilla or the UK

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have a BMX bike for sale if that helps..;)

Wait until you take one of your trips to the states this spring or summer. By then if information overload has not set in, you may be close to the optimum lid for your melon.

Wear your old lid across the border, buy the new one in the states and toss the old one or give it away.

I think if I lived in the great Frozen North (yes I have been to North Dakota in January) I'd be looking for lids at snowmobile dealers.

The question to all the Canadiandudes is this. Protective tariffs aside and bend over the shipping costs aside, how can your governments put on all those charges on anything that is not produced or manufactured in Canada? Taxation with too much representation?

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, I bounced a few emails back and forth with Damien. No distributors or dealers in Canada. By the time I factor in shipping costs and exchange rate, I'm easily looking at an extra $150 ... nevermind sales tax.

Yah, I've been to several shops, too early ... no one has their summer stock out yet, and no one is likely to have discounted gear like RevZilla on old stock. I may just opt to buy a cheap DOT approved helmet, ship the helmet I want across the border, then pick it up and wear it home.

Everyone is pretty much selling HJC or GMax up here. A few are also selling Zox and EVS helmets. The funny thing is, hardly anyone is selling a helmet with pinlock in an environment that is cold in early / late season.

It's not duties that's killing me right now, it's shipping costs to Canada and the exchange rate ... it's adding about $150 ... the sales tax is something I'd have to pay anyways.

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Jeff, if the extra charges are really an issue, you might actually try what BB has suggested i.e. Ride over the border and purchase one here, or maybe purchase your helmet from Revzilla and have it shipped to a friend, family member or even forum member who lives on the US side of the border, then ride/drive over and pick it up.

17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW www.motorcyclegear.com has the new Nolan N104 solid colors for $299 including shipping. Not a bad deal. I wish they would work with my Scala Rider.

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I do have a parcel service I can use ... it's just a PITA if I have problems with fitment.

We'll see .... I have a few weeks before we'll even be able to think about riding out here. :)

19. tommyghawaii

tommyghawaii New Member

I use a Schuberth C3 Pro. In combination with Bose QC20 noise canceling earbuds, it results in a very quiet ride. I've used other noise canceling headphones but this combination is excellent. Wind roar is almost completely eliminated.
    I have a 2014 Interceptor with Two Brothers Carbon exhaust, Quick shifter and Pazzo levers.

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sounds like you have a nice setup all the way around. Now that you broke the ice with this post, go down the hall and post up a proper introduction, with photos of said vehicle! Oh, and welcome aboard.