Tracing exhaust leaks

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by SweViffer, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SweViffer

SweViffer New Member

Sweden
    I was wondering if this method of tracing exhaust leaks would be applicable to a VFR 800?

Could you damage anything by pressurizing the exhaust? Initially I was worried about blowing carbon residue into the cylinders, but they should be sealed by either the intake or the exhaust valves so very little air should be blown into the cylinders. Right?

I think I'll give it a try, since I can't find my potential leak by the ordinary methods (but I can hear it, I think).

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    yesser,:Yo: that'll work. holding a rag against the exhaust can will force air from leaky gaskets, or try listening closeup through a hose. no damage done. after a period the engine will stall.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. dABIT

dABIT New Member

United States
    Map
    2 other methods.
    1. A small amount of ATF [automatic transmission fluid] through a vacuum source into the combustion chamber will produce thick white smoke in the exhaust and show any leaks. Shut off engine plug exhaust smoke will come out of leaks. Will also clean some carbon out of your combustion chamber.

2. Most auto repair shops have a smoke machine to check emission system leaks. Place the hose into end of exhaust and smoke comes out of the leaks.