trailering a bike

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Munson, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Munson

Munson New Member

Hey, I may buy a vfr soon i was wondering how to trailer a motorcycle? I've never done it before..

2. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    It is not really that hard as far as pulling the trailer is concerned. They are light so almost any vehicle can pull a single bike trailer easily. With a VFR or any fully faired sport bike you are faced with the issue of where to attach tie down straps? Thankfully the Canyondancer people have resolved that issue with their strap system which basically allows you to secure the bike using the handle bars. Check e-bay under canyondancer and you will see many different colors of straps available. They are safe and worth the $30 it will cost you for peace of mind. There are pictures of my 98 strapped down on a Kendon trailer using these straps, in the photo section. I secured the front end by compressing the forks and added two straps to the rear foot peg mounts just in case I hit some rough roads. It didn't move an inch in 500 miles. Don't put a cover on the bike while trailering as the cover will flap and beat the tar out of your paint. Just wash off the grime when you get home.

Good luck finding a nice 98, I've had mine two weeks and just love it!:bolt:

3. Munson

Munson New Member

thanks for the info im guessing ill need to rent a motorcycle specific trailer?

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    That would be best but you can use a box trailer as long as there is a solid front to brace the front wheel against and secure tie down points.