Triump sprint ST vs Vfr 750f

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Boltman422, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Boltman422

Boltman422 New Member

United States
    im looking to do a west coast run from SoCal to Seattle, but I'm not willing to waste the coin to ship my 4th gen out west. So, I'm planning to just buy a bike in SoCal and sell it for what ever I can get in Seattle. My dilemma is I need a sport touring bike with hard cases and I'm seeing a lot of inexpensive Triump Sprint ST's in my price range (2-3k cash money Hommie). Can anyone tell me how they compare from a comfort standpoint? I'm also considering some older BMW's, but I'm just not sure I'm a big enough ass to own one. Any thoughts?

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I can only compare it to the VFR800, as my VFR750 ownership was too long ago (1986).
    The riding position is nearly identical, (1050 ST that is) but it has a lot more grunt and handles better in my opinion.
    But it's not as welt built, and they did have a few problems.
    The earlier ones had rear shock linkage plates that would collapse with heavy hits, this was redesigned on later ones.
    They also suffer from the RR and stator failure just as bad as the VFR800's.
    The were also problems with corrosion, which might be worse in the USA colder or wetter states. This might not be a problem for a Socal bike.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I used to own a 2000 Triumph Sprint RS, which had the 955cc triple. It is nearly the same as the ST of the same vintage. I had no issues with it. Similar horsepower, but more 20+ lbft torque and lighter than the 2005 VFR I owned after. The 1050 ST has even more power and torque. Honestly, they are very similar bikes and either should do very nicely regardless of which way you go. The Triumph triple is another marathon engine like the VFR is.

4. Boltman422

Boltman422 New Member

United States
    Thanks for the comparison. My main concern was comfort, which you addressed. I appreciate the info on what to look out for mechanically as well. Thanks again.

5. Boltman422

Boltman422 New Member

United States
    Sounds like a great bike. Thanks for the feedback.

Lint likes this.