Triumph ST 1050 or VFR, now try and be honest

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Podman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Podman

Podman New Member

OK,
    its a VFR site granted but what do you think of the ST1050 (07 model) compare to the VFR (07)

I have yet to decide on which one to buy

Cheers
    Poddy:smile:

2. grinder

grinder New Member

Both are great bikes. Go with what makes you happiest. I chose the VFR because, in no particular order, its a honda and has an excellent reliability reputation, better support system for dealers and after market, it did everything I wanted, cheaper to insure, better resale value, Triumphs depreciate like crazy. I have owned the VFR for two years and don't regret choosing the VFR at all. The more I ride it the better I like it. Who knows maybe I would feel the same about the Triumph. Like I say both are great bikes and they were my top two choices.

3. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

Poddy..hahaaa..good luck on this one..:)

If I had the cash id have a new st in the garage right now(plus my old vfr)..I have driven the st and I do like it, BUT the new 05 vfr was 4500$ cheaper than the st I wanted at the time I bought my new vfr back in 06. I wouldnt pay thousands more for the st.For me the only real thing i liked better was the sound and the gauges...(seriously).

Downside was I do go 2 -up some and the sprint was a noway from the wife, way too high up and hot a perch for her. Hated it...she is good with the vfr.
    The real only diff I actually could say I found riding them was the vfr was more comfy for me,I found the sprint more radical seating.but thats all personal stuff.)..but the sprint a bit more go. plug your ears and the rest is the same for me.

Im not getting into all the rest of the I like/hate details.I suspect you dont care..:) its always just personal stuff anyway.....besides, I havnt any beefs with either of em...and I find the vtech gimmick (although useless) kinda cool, loved the bike!

The sprint did however blow the vfr away in one department(the only blowout for me)....the sound of that triple alone still makes me want one!!!Nothing like a triple's sound! otherwise same deal.

I think its a great bike, like the vfr...but for me the small dealer network along my travels, the smaller resell market, and the price around here evens them out right now. I loved the sprint, but it wasnt that big a diff for the more $$..If it was same price, then Id get one next time....

Luckily i am happy with the vfr, even my current old one..I might have a sprint in the future.(i have had both the vtech and the non v, same bike to me, no issues, i would rather have the new vtech one again for the chassis, so thats what i compared the sprint to.)

Try em both out! you cant loose either way..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  4. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

The Triumph also suffers from gearbox related issues, a number have been reported in the UK, pillion is not as comfy, that's a fact. As to depreciation, maybe it loses more in the US, not so much in the UK.

5. Taz

Taz New Member

:wave: Must of missed my posts :rolleyes:

I own both, The Sprint is everything I've wanted the VFR to become, but never did.

Honda is Honda & the relibility history is there, but for the same miles the VFR has been in the shop for re-calls & electrical problems beyond anything the Sprint has (it's not perfect, but so far better).

I beat my Sprint pretty hard in the canyons & occasional track day's, as well as my many jaunts back & forth to SoCal (1400 mile round trip, plus miles there)& the tranny is just fine, yea it clunks when shifting , but it's precise & a solid engine & tranny.

handles as good if not better with stock suspension copared to the VFR, & most importantly "IT'S GOT PONIES" !

Neither one is more comfortable than the other "to me", but the '07 &'08 models does come with taller windscreen & bars (I like the '06 bars myself & bought the '07 windscreen) & you can alway's get the factory option gel seat thats pretty comfortable, the stock ain't bad but the gel seat is pretty nice:tongue: (Triumph has there own aftermarket exhaust that makes it sound even nicer:wink: ).
    The Sprints purchase comes with the side paniers (Hard side bags) Major $$$ option for the Honda:eek: , & does not have that heavy pc of Sh_t linked brakes. The sprint does come with or w/o ABS, & I've got the ABS, & since it's not linked, it still feels like a normal bike & control with hard braking with the plus ABS benifits.

:wave: did I mention the increased ponies :tongue:

I think the Sprint is a better bike, but @ the same time agree it is a good choice going with either one, but "IF" Honda ever came out with a new litre VFR Sport Tourer or Sportbike, I could & probably part with the Sprint (give to my daughter to replace the '04 VFR I gave her, she likes the Sprint better than the VFR as well).

good luck !

p.s.
    In '06, I got my '06 Sprint with ABS out the door the same price as the '06 ABS VFR out the door so power, non-linked brakes, price, & not another stamped out Japanese bike is what sold me !
    Oh, & the triple sound is just as intoxicating as the V-4 sound !

6. jjake

jjake New Member

I have been wondering the same thing, have not rode a sprint, but wanted to, Taz you didnt say anything about 2 up riding, or have you tried it out,

7. scramblerracer

scramblerracer New Member

Map
    I went this weekend and rode a 07 Sprint st for the first time. If I had $7000 I would buy it and sell the VFR. I love my 03 VFR but I really liked the Sprint. The downfall when I was looking in June was that the closest Triumph dealer is 2 hours away. I started riding alot with a guy from work who has a 07 Speed Triple and I am falling for the Triple sound. I have to really stretch the VFR to keep up when the road goes straight and that bugs me. I catch up in the twisties again but that gets old. Triumph fit and finish was better than I expected. Ride was very good, all stock, 300# rider no passenger. I really liked the side bags. I think they look better on the bike than the VFRs. I think the VFR look sportier than the Sprint does. Sprint power is awesome. I think the Sprint is the closest to a more powerful VFR that we will get with a warranty. I thought the Sprint is much more sporty than the FJR1300 I rode last week. It was too big for me to comfortably corner fast. With time you will find problems and reasons you like any bike you buy. Ride the Sprint and VFR and then decide where you feel more comfortable. Good Luck!

8. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Comparing my 5th gen to an '07 Sprint, the 5th handles curves better, feels quite a bit smaller/lighter. The VFR is better built, the Sprint's faring and mirrors shook with the wind at highway speed. The Sprint has better ergos, bars closer/pegs a little farther. The Sprint has better power, but downshifting doesnt make much difference since the torque curve is so flat. (I'm guessing that's the reason - 70 mph in top gear, click down 2 gears and it doesnt seem to accellarate any faster).
    I now have about $6,000 into my 5th with the Penske rear, Helibars, Sargent seat and Givi topcase, the Sprint costs what, twice that new? absolute no brainer for me, I'll take mine at the same price. A new VFR vs. a Sprint? that's a very close call.

9. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    Hey Scrambleracer.... If you are stretching your VFR on the straights to keep up with a 1050 triple thats to be expected but getting him in the corners is doing something right. I thought thats where it really counts:biggrin: Anybody can grab a big handfull of throttle in a straight line!!! They are both great bikes like everyone has said. I see a lot more Triumphs out now than I have ever before but the issues I have heard of reliability wise and the lack of dealers makes it hard for me to consider. I have more access to Ducatis than I do Triumph dealers. I know all bikes will have some issues but I still feel more confident with a Honda for servicability, fit and finish and general long term reliability.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ha what a easy one, yes the 1050 has a place but when compared to a vfr the VFR wins, VFRs are way more refined, plus as noted there's issues with triumphs here and there

11. Taz

Taz New Member

OK, my wife is 5', & without the tail panier & stock seat she was fine for about 100 miles, but with the panier to lean back on & the gel seat, she has been ok on it riding down to SoCal & back (1400 miles round trip) because a more comfortable seat, doesn't have to worry about falling off from acceleration, & she can sit upright instead of leaning on me (much nicer for me as well).
    her only complaint was it was a little hard to get use to (felt cramp) until we got on the freeway & or canyons, then she gave me a big smile & thumbs up.

The only thing I might change for her comfort, would be to replace the buddy pegs with some rubber gripped (like the riders ones) ones to take away some of the road vibrations.

With the tail Panier & a tank bag, added to the 2 side paniers, is more than enough storage for 2 up on a decent trip.

& the cool ting is that all 3 paniers come off in seconds for those solo canyon zips or track days.

My daughter thats gone to SoCal with me is 5'9" @ 140 lbs & got no complants from her on it (other than she rather be the rider, not the passenger).

p.s. like I said B-4, the Sprint & VFR are "ALMOST Identical in handleing, with the Sprint with a slight edge as better.

I have had 2 VFR buddies now that have sold there VFR's (5th & 6th gen) to get the Sprint ('07 model) & as I said myself, & what there saying now that the Sprint is what the VFR should of become a long time ago (Power, better brake system, handling).

Sorry guy's, if the VFR would of been better, I wouldn't own the Sprint now !

12. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey I do no tlike the VTEC so any VFR with a VTEC engine would not be my choice but that is an opinion for me. I would not consider any VFR after 2001 and the recall makes me even more skeptic.

13. Taz

Taz New Member

Oh yea, I forgot about the V-Tec, it blows, & so does getting rid of the gear cam drive.

V-tec is supposed to aid in gas milage while the sprint gets the same or better milage with more cc's & ponies with out that useless V-tec that doesn't belong on a sportbike/tourer system :mad: .