Trouble on Incline Parking Lots

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by donalli, Mar 24, 2015.

1. donalli

donalli New Member

Map
    I am having trouble pushing the bike while seated on inclined parking stalls. Its quite embarrassing especially when someone1 is waiting to take your spot lol Does anyone else have troubles or do you guys just push the bike while standing. Im 5'9 145 im I too skiny or too short. I go to the gym. I used to be 165 6 months ago so I have alot of retained muscle. My feet are flat on the ground when I sit on the bike but when I try to push myself backwards up a hill I end up using my tippy toes. Is their an easy way to check if the bike seat height is lowered to the min setting without taking apart the front seat.

This bike is heavy I knew that when purchasing it. But, I did not expect this. This is my 2nd bike my first bike was ninja 300 big difference in weight never had a problem pushing that bike up inclines.

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh brother, try being 5'4" and 135lbs of solid beauty with 28" inseam, and your problems will look pale as if by magic.
    I do walk the bike while off of it, or I back into the parking stall. Just remember: In life, the end justifies the means.
    Not sure the answer to your question, I've only seen the 2014 a few times, but have not ridden it yet.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I have trouble backing up much of an incline, so I try to never put myself in that situation, i.e. I'll either back in, find a different spot, or bite the bullet and back out as best I can. I rarely push the bike backwards out of the saddle because you can almost rely on dropping it in that kind of situation. I'll push it if I have too, but avoid it like the plague.

Try it sometime on a slightly oily incline and leather soled shoes. Now that's a challenge!

4. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    Assess the parking space on approach, and always park nose up. An incline will aid you in backing down the hill into the space (and you can use a teeny amount of throttle to control it as you do). Also think about the lay of the ground with respect to putting the bike on the side-stand.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Get a Gold Wing with a reverse gear. Or just park nose up.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a "big" guy at 6' 2" and 240, and I never liked backing the bike up an incline. Best to back into that spot. Or learn how to do a quadruple K turn in a confined area so if you pulled straight in facing downhill, you can throttle out.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Both the centerstand and the kickstand rotate toward the rear of the bike. Parking nose down on any incline is asking for trouble.

I am 7' and 400 lbs. Not true but it illustrates the point.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol, yeah nobody stated this now obvious fact.

9. jpedrogb

jpedrogb New Member

Spain
    Map
    if you can park nose down and push it, you can park nose up and back in, rather than wait for you to push out, people will wait for u to back in; prefer the latter and have been doing so for the same reasons you're having trouble with.

Back in with front brake if slope allows it, if not play with the clutch with the engine stopped if things get veeeery steep. Obviously, gas will also do the trick. Personally, I prefer to keep wear down on the clutch if the incline thing is a regular daily thing, infact front braking has always been fine for now except for a couple of minor front wheel slips with the odd gravel patch.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Get off the bike. Walk it out of the stall, get back on and ride away. Yes there's a risk of dropping, but so is there when your on your tiptoes in the saddle. I'd rather not go down with the bike on top of my leg.

It's also easier to see cross traffic in the lot this way vs trying to look back over your shoulder.

11. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    If I have to walk my bike backwards up or down hill or flat, I let the bike lean in to me about 5* or so. This makes sure it doesn't fall out of my hands. If I park down hill I always leave it in first gear on the side stand.

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I always get off the bike to push it. I almost fell once when duck-walking while seated when the incline changed to flat. My short legs could barely reach the ground when the front tire was still on the incline and the rear tire was not. Make sense?

13. Badbilly

United States

Somebody had to.. ;)

14. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

Always park so that you can roll backwards downhill. Not just because its hard to push a bike uphill backwards.....but more so because if it rolls ahead even a little the kickstand could get pushed back and down goes your bike. I have seen it happen to my friend. ...so yes it really can. Its fine to turn in the parking lot and roll into a parking spot backwards if downhill into it. And its not just size as i am over 6 feet tall and nearing 200 lbs and still would never park where i have to push it uphill backwards.

15. Badbilly

United States
    Looks like this applies mostly to diagonal parking. Parallel parking can get you into deep shit too. Roadways where it rains a lot are sloped. Roadways that are in hilly areas where it rains a lot are sloped more. Not great place to use a center stand or on the downhill side of the road with a kickstand.

Maybe looking around some for a flat spot and walking some might reduce the tip overs.

A move to Nebraska works too.

16. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    This is he the answer. I also have an 900lb Harley and the key is to never need to back up a hill.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Is your Harley a Fat Boy?

18. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    Road King (A Fat Boy is actually lighter). The point is... don't park nose down!