two things that bug me

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by armod, Sep 7, 2017.

1. armod

armod New Member

Australia
    Map

the handlebar angle I'd like to change.
    I'm pretty happy with the height.

haven't looked into the options for this would love to hear recommendations.

as for the chain.
    I'm just having a whine.
    I'm currently trying out Motul C5 chain paste to lube the chain which needs to be applied to every surface of the chain and its just hard to access even with the single swingarm.

I'm thinking of taking that plastic off and leaving it off next time but the sprocket wear indicator sticker is on it so i don't want to risk it being lost.

2. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    [QUOTE="armod, post: 572150, member: 35251]

the handlebar angle I'd like to change.

I'm thinking of taking that plastic off and leaving it off next time but the sprocket wear indicator sticker is on it so i don't want to risk it being lost.[/QUOTE]
    What do you want to do to the handlebars?

Move the bars forward and they'll hit the fairing, move them back and you're into the tank, even turning the levers down is restricted by cable/hose routing, I've got mine as far down as they'll go, which isn't much

Don't worry about the sticker, it'll fall off shortly anyway, the adhesive is oil soluble

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    It's funny I was just thinking the other day about taking that plastic piece off as well, but primarily for aesthetic purposes - it's kind of an ugly piece of black plastic covering up some of the lovely swingarm. Did you take any pics with it off? I'm not sure if it's there to protect your fingers and toes from getting caught or for general debris? Either way it seems like overkill to me - I've seen other sport bikes that leave that particular spot of the sprocket unprotected. But yeah it would also give you a very convenient spot to squirt the chain cleaner and lube just before the sprocket.

I hadn't noticed the bar angle gripe before but I'm getting ready to go for a ride so I'll probably notice it now and probably drive me crazy - so thanks! :D

armod likes this.
  4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Agree on the angle of the bars. I find I hold my hands further out so they rest on the bar ends.

armod likes this.
  5. armod

armod New Member

Australia
    Map
    It's just the angle. ideally I'd rotate them but these bars won't allow that so it means replacing them.

Just want the ergonomics set up

6. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    This is the best stuff I have found and swear by it. It doesnt spray all over the fn place like a non wax based lube. It just takes a minute to remove the plastic trim to lube, then put it back on. That is what I do.
    Troy

Attached Files:

duccmann likes this.
  7. armod

armod New Member

Australia
    Map
    Looks like when a lady drops her shoulder strap

[​IMG]

8. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the pic! Wow - it's too bad they had to have such an ugly bolt stud mar the otherwise clean appearance. I wonder if one of the rear red reflectors that I removed when I installed the tail tidy would just screw in there to cover it up? But that might look worse than the black plastic. Or maybe fashion a little VFR or HONDA badge or something to cover it up - hmmm...

9. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    I think some people bought the wrong motorcycle if they're wanting to change it so much. /shrug

10. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    We're talking about adjusting the angle of the handlebars and the removal of a piece of superfluous black plastic - I think it's a little early to break out the "bought the wrong motorcycle" comments :D

11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

It's not superfluous it's there to stop anything getting dragged into the sprocket.

12. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    It's there because Honda's overly conservative lawyers are afraid some retard will get his tongue caught in the sprocket and sue them :D Note that the similarly single-sided swingarmed Supersport's sprocket (how's that for a tongue twister!) is completely exposed - looks MUCH better without the superfluous retard-proofing plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  13. armod

armod New Member

Australia
    Map
    You didn't make any ergonomic adjustments to the bike?

14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I think these video's did good for me and a reference of knowledge that I really have never looked into. Thanks everyone. BUT Bubba's THINGS THAT I HATE are plastic and the FRICKEN mismatched sizes, colors and dimensions on all of the FRICKEN plastic parts attachment screws to get the things off and on correctly! Its like you have to have a spreedsheet with location when taken the shit off and putting it back on. Or have enough room to have a sheet or large cloth with the bikes shape on it with all of the point of connects and then label it so that you get the right FRICKEN screw back to the right FRICKEN spot. Not to mention the plastic plugs and clips!;-) Give me metal anyday and I can figure it out. PLASTIC IS EVIL! ;-)

15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Oh yeah if you all of you are not familiar with "FRICKEN'" and maybe your are. But it is used quite extensively in Utah with the "Mormon" base as a substitute for saying Fu..ing" so they think they are not swearing and feel guilty about it! ;-) But if you think it you did it! ;-) Also "Fudging" is used, but I think that means a few other things in different countries speaking English or in slang. I thought that the term my grandmother used "Bugger" as a term of endearment to us grandkids and was OK! My mom slapped the shit out me using it after my grandmother passed, and she told me the meaning and context it is or may used in the U.K and others!. My response was "You mother (Welsh/English decent) called me that for 12 yrs." her response was "My mother is not your mother! and she could say whatever she wanted to!" ;-)

16. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    I did not. I'm 6'3 and enough over 200lb to annoy me. Average ride distance is ~200mi of mixed freeways and canyons. Seat is on the highest setting. I'd say I need to work on getting in shape more than working on adjusting the bike to fit me. The more I do that the less I get bothered by longer rides.

I also have wrists that have been subjected to heavy computer use for .. my entire life. They seem to hold up fine as long as I make an effort to use my core muscles more than anything else when riding. I don't rely on leaning on my wrists anymore.

17. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    What about the plastic bung in the axle or the cap on the footrest bracket then. Do they go in the same category?

Personally I prefer this approach.

Attached Files:

18. armod

armod New Member

Australia
    Map
    Fitness and weight aside it won't change length of your bones and overall geometry.

For me that bar angle is the biggest factor right now. I already adjusted the lever angles and dropped the seat (I'm 5'6"), the foot controls didn't need adjustment for me but with a new pair of boots that might change.

With new bars at the right angle I might consider footpeg placement but it's decent for now.

Ergonomic adjustment is the biggest (and cheapest) way to improve performance. If everything is where it needs to be to facilitate effortless and efficient control then the rider can focus on riding instead of making sure his fingers don't bump into the lever on the way to applying the front brake or, as in the case with me and the bar angle, needing to turn my elbow in to get full range of the throttle.

Simple adjustments that should be made on every bike in order for it to work properly with the rider.

fink likes this.
  19. Thomas Gessner

Thomas Gessner New Member

Germany
    Map
    I think I don't quite get it. From the way the clip-ons are bolted to the upper triple tree, it is clear that their angle cannot be adjusted. So why complain about something that should have been quite obvious after the first test ride?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

20. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Like choosing a significant other - sometimes you find out things after spending an appreciable amount of time with them... (i.e. some things aren't immediately obvious after just 1 test ride...) :D

GatorGreg likes this.