US in the news here

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by OZ VFR, Jun 19, 2017.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
  2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I have to say that I regret bringing this up.
    I was just sharing what is making the news here, and propably should't have led with "1300 children killed".
    And while I don't speak for every Australian, I am very aware of how most think, as I was brought up and do live here.
    The one fact I was pointing to was Trumps repeal of resolution 57-43, which relates to people with mental disabilities being reported into NICS and prevented from buying guns.
    That's why I stated "it will be a safer place now that nut jobs can get a gun faster"
    In 2007's Virginia Tech massacre, the culprit who killed 32 people was mentally ill, he was judged by a court as having mentall health issues and as a danger to himself.
    Yet he was not reported into NICS, he went and bought guns and killed 32 innocent people who were going about their every day lives.
    The 2012 Sandy Hook massacre of 20 first graders and 6 teachers was done by a mentally ill man who had access to guns.
    These were not teenagers killing themselvs in drug wars.
    I am saddened to see innocent people taken away from the possibility of a long normal life by the actions of a single person, and feel for their families, specially when it involves young people.
    As a father of three, I couldn't imagine anything worse.
    It is obvious that it is a very touchy subject to some of you, I wasn't pointing fingers or telling anyone they should adopt my ideas.
    You will turn blue explaining why getting rid of resolution 57-43 was a good idea, but you will never make a good enough case to change my mind.
    I will also never understand how a person with a learning disability being able to buy a semiautomatic military style weapon makes the USA a better place.
    I guess it's, when in Germany don't talk about the war, when in China don't bring up human rights, and when in the USA don't bring up guns.
    I do not condone the erosion of civil liberties we are seeing the world over, but there is a difference between civil liberties and rights that you should earn.
    And in case you are mistaken, as a teenager I owned guns, and used to enjoy going on hunting trips with my father, who by the way still owns guns.
    But he is now getting old and suffering from depression, and he worries me.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    And Gator Greg, I never said we don't have problems here. A lot which I am very ashamed off.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Not everyone here in the USA likes guns or owns guns.
    I am ambivalent. Don't hate them, don't own one or have interest.
    Otoh, without guns we wouldn't have hilarious idiot videos like this. Thank you Murphy. :Lol:

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I must admit I thought it was very funny.
    He won't do that again.

6. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Probably not.

Just looking at your sig line reminds me.

Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do. :D

34468 Randy likes this.
  7. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Funny that, after all the commotion, I just changed it.
    I aslo thought of going with: My opinion is not guaranteed to be the only thing that is right, but yours is guaranteed to be wrong if it differs.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    34468 Randy likes this.
  8. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    "I was just sharing what is making the news". I think that's what you just got done saying you were doing, right? Since we're an international forum I figured I would help you out by providing the forum with even more news about other countries too - wasn't that nice of me? :D

VFR4Lee likes this.
  9. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    Resolution 57-43 would not have prevented either The Virginia Tech or Sandy Hook incidents. Resolution 57-43 effected Social Security recipients. Most of the recipients reported to NICS were not mentally ill or 'nut jobs'. They were older folks who would rather a family member take care of their bills, that's all and for that alone, many were denied a right they were born with, earned many times over, and have a guarantee their right will not be infringed. No courts, no proceeding, just a clerk pushing buttons! Some old guy whose wife always did the bill passes, or the opposite, some old gal whose husband dies who always did the bills......they mess up a few times paying the bills and some bureaucrat talks them into letting their daughter handle the financial affairs. They are both delighted to have that pain off their backs. Problem......no one explained Obama was going to destroy their rights with resolution 57-43. Just when they reached an age to get a permanent senior citizen hunting license they can no longer buy a gun. Being old and less likely to stand up to a bully, they loss their right to buy a gun for protection. And worse of all, they have also lost their right to buy a gun to oppose oppression, the very right many served in combat to protect.

Resolution 57-43, like many gun laws in the US, was terribly faulty, it needed repeal. Does that relieve the president and legislators for coming up with a better law.....NO, it doesn't. Mental Health issues need to be addressed, but it has to work to achieve the goal without effecting the innocent in masses. Like I posted earlier, if anyone has something that will be fair and works, please present as I would be most interested. As to convincing you repealing resolution 57-43 was a good idea, well I'm not trying to do that. You are happy with your country and gun laws and I am happy that you are happy. What bewilders me is why you insist on caring about a condition in the US that you have no concept about. We most likely agree on more on life than we disagree, but you brought it up and I have responded. I also agree you should have not brought this subject up. With that said, if you have really listened to the replies, perhaps the information you have received will encourage you to further research and open your mind. None of what I say is intended to sway your opinion or change your mind, that is up to you listen and read from authoritative sources on both sides, if you are that interested.

"but there is a difference between civil liberties and rights that you should earn", most of those who lost their rights through Resolution 57-43 were born with the right and further earned the right by being an American citizen. As Americans we are born with the right to Bear Arms and our Constitution guarantees it.

"And in case you are mistaken, as a teenager I owned guns, and used to enjoy going on hunting trips with my father, who by the way still owns guns", well I never made an assumption that you didn't at one time own or use a gun. Because despite that, everyone in the US has a right to lay down their arms, and I think that is true in Australia. Your choice.

"I guess it's, when in Germany don't talk about the war, when in China don't bring up human rights, and when in the USA don't bring up guns", it's my opinion you have a right to talk about anything that is on your mind. But if you talk out loud, others have a right to reply, don't we?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    La la la la life goes on............. ;)