Vacuum Line Issue - 1986 Vfr700f

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by iceCode, Jun 10, 2018.

1. iceCode

iceCode New Member

United States
    Map
    Apologize for yet another vacuum line thread - found many but none that i could use to answer my question. Still piecing this bike back together. Down to 2 Vacuum (or Vent) connections that I can't figure out where they go. Believe 1 (The larger one is just vent to atmosphere) but the smaller on has a clamp on the end but can't see where it goes. No vacuum routing in Service Manual (don't have the Clymer's at the moment),

Pics below of the lines - both are on Right Side of bike.

1) Larger top one i believe remains open ended to atmosphere (just not 100% sure) pic01.jpg

pic01.jpg pic03.jpg pic04.jpg pic05.jpg
    2) Smaller one Is "J" shaped and one end connects to a 3 way connector.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. iceCode

iceCode New Member

United States
    Map
    Forgot to mention - this is a California Spec bike. Thanks

3. iceCode

iceCode New Member

United States
    Map
    Decided to remove future issues regarding the mess of vacuum tubes by gutting and removing all of the cali emission nonsense and cap the corresponding ports on carbs and route the necessary ones away from engine area. Thanks V4Dreams.com for the help.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    one or two tubes are vents from the float bowls and must not be capped.

iceCode likes this.
  5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    It's been a looong time since I had an RC24, but some parts/arrangements will be common across most bikes.

As a CA model you will have a PAIR system (filtered air from air box is switched on/off by a solenoid and sucked into the exhaust manifolds to burn off residual hydrocarbons) plus a charcoal cannster to trap fuel vapour from the fuel tank and carbs.

The PAIR system can be completely removed, airbox port capped (so no foreign bodies get sucked in) and the ports at the exhaust capped (they sound terrible otherwise).

For the charcoal canister, you can remove some parts but as Squirrel says, you must have open vents to the carb overflows, and you also need an open vent to the fuel tank (to let air in as fuel exits). I believe the canister is regularly purged by sucking air through it from the airbox through a solenoid, so there has to be an open vent to allow air into the canister. Again, you can get rid of the canister but would need to plug any line into the airbox. From memory, the canister sits under the front cylinder head.

iceCode likes this.
  6. iceCode

iceCode New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes I routed the float bowl vents down and away from engine - they connect into a large tube and exit towards the rear (near the fuel in hose).

Capped 5 ports in total on the carbs. And the 2 ports at front of engine by the header.

This article on v4dreams explains it but contacted the blog owner and he sent me more indepth directions (and pics) but don't want to post without his permission.

http://v4dreams.com/shop-blog/cali-plumbing

Thanks,
    John