VF500 Clip-ons

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Billiam500, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Billiam500

Billiam500 New Member

2. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    looks like it could work you might have a problem at full lock? never know untill you try

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Just put the Vortex clip-ons on the 97 and yes, I can't put the bars at full lock.

You can adjust them so you can, but you'll kill your slow speed U-turn manuvering.

FYI.

BZ

4. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    down angle

I've looked into this a bit too - reading through previous post here and on the Yahoo VF500F Forum. Several owners have installed down angle clip-ons and have gotten them to work. I'm not sure specifically about the Vortex model though.

Modifications included tapping and drilling the stops and adding a cap head screw to each side - limiting the number of degrees of rotation - and/or sliding the fork tubes up. The fork tube method is an easier modification but you have to consider the effect on the rake and trail.

5. TRX250R

TRX250R New Member

I put clip ons my VF500F, and like them, but my clutch line hits the gauges, I'm in the works of trying work out this problem.
    [​IMG]

6. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    photos

Thanks for the photo. Do also have one taken from the side? Any other issues lock to lock?

7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    The previous owner of my bike lowered the bars....I'm unsure how. He didn't add anything.

My clutch cable rubs too....makes a horrible noise when I turn the wheel.

I wanna raise the bars up.

8. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    17"

I'm going from memory but aren't you running 17" wheels with a shock conversion? You might be able to slide the fork tubes up a bit - this would help to get back to the stock rake and trail with the added benefit of a little more clearance for the clip-ons.

9. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    When the bike comes out in spring I'll have the 17" rear with the shock conversion but the front end is and will be entirely stock.

10. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    16f 17r

Okay, I am not sure the about sliding the fork tubes up then - you will need to crunch some numbers for the rake and trail with these modifications.

11. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    What do I have to do and why?

I just wanna raise the bars back up to stock position if not higher

12. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    clip-ons

I was writing about the conversion(s) - as you are going from the stock 18" wheel to a 17" CBR600F2 wheel and are also installing a new mono shock. These modifications will change the stock rake and trail of the bike. Not to say this is necessarily a bad thing but I think it is good to know what you will be running. Keep in mind it is not only the wheel diameter and shock length but also the aspect ratio of the tire that factors into this.

Regarding the clip-ons - it would be helpful if you posted a photo or two for the diagnosis. If everything is stock up front this should be a simple 'fix'.

13. TRX250R

TRX250R New Member

No problem, I havn't tried to lock the bike w/ the clip ons, and no sorry, no pictures of the bike on the side, w/ the clip ons on. I put them on and then shortly after took the bike off the road. Nothing rubs when riding, just when the bike is parked and I have to move it at a sharp turn.

14. ErikRock21

ErikRock21 New Member

I found that the stock clip ons from an '87 Hurricane work nicely. Just have to adjust the brake lever down slightly to avoid hitting the fairing during a slow left turn. Also down-angled bars on a VF500 will require modification to the fuse box cover, or complete relocation of the fuse box.

15. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    37mm

Thank you for the post.

I was thinking about using the Hurricane down-angle clip-ons as well. Could you describe, in a bit more detail, about the modifications that need to be made to the fuse box cover?

Also, would you mind posting a few photos of the bars mounted on your bike?

16. TRX250R

TRX250R New Member

Selling my clip ons, (and side fairings) if anyone is interested. Just picked up a 2002 GSXR, so the interceptor is going back to stock, and being sold.

17. ErikRock21

ErikRock21 New Member

Actually that is part of my winter project for the bike. All i have done to this point is cut an old sponge to size and wrapped it in electrical tape, then i duct taped that to the triple tree. The problem with the clip ons is that the bolts are on the inside instead of the top, so they cover the screw holes for the cover piece. If i can make it work, i will probably just fit some angle brackets in the stock screw holes, then fit the fuse box cover to those. And if that doesn't work, there appears to be enough wire length to allow for relocation of the fuse panel itself somewhere under the tank, just to where it wont get rained on.
    It will probably be a couple of months before i actually do the work, but i can post pictures and a description of what i end up having to do.