VF500 fuel mileage

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, May 3, 2008.

1. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    yes it would i'll be posting the results in my thread when i get the carbs and go through them i think most of the people here are just hung up on MPGs and not just having fun

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I got 44.2mpgs on this tank of fuel. That was a mix of city driving and half of it was freeway speed between 70-80mph.

I hit the reserve at 135miles and refueled at 161.5miles. She took on 3.652gallons of mid-grade.

Overall I did 212miles today and my ass is sore!

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    32 vs 30

Good deal, I look forward to your post.

FYI - I've attached a Service Bulletin (3 pages) from August '85 suggesting some carburetor mod's for the '84 model year. Looks like they recommend downsizing to 90 Main Jets and 35 Slow Jets - but where's the fun in that?

4. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

I was kidding but thanks for the information!

Hey, I merely wanted to know if I was getting reasonable gas mileage after rebuilding my VD 59 A's. Remember I drive a '500C not a '500F. I was trying to make the bike get 55 mpg without sacrificing "fun". Now I know that 55mpg is really nearer to impossible than I wanted to acknowledge, especially while it carries my weight. I believe that on a long trip where there is a minimum of low speed/stop and go driving that I could expect the '500C to get 50 to 52 mpg.

I have already gotten 50 mpg on a 100 mile round trip that included some driving on city streets, so I am content that my rebuild was done correctly (to service manual spec) and that I am getting what I might expect to be 'normal' gas mileage using the 500C for in town driving exclusively (@ 40-2 mpg).

I gets my kicks on Route 66 (nearby in San Berdo). I have fun on the 500C and get good gas mileage too. An tha's a fac' jack. But I will read the bulletins with interest and considering the reaction that TinkerinWstuff had when he swapped his #90 mains for 102 mains I doubt that I'll be trying the reverse trick of removing my 108's and installing 90's. However, I might try installing 95's or 102's if I have that kind of time to spend on the '500C. Besides,I have other fish to fry.:biggrin: Now I need to get a Highway Crusier going that will get my wide ass down the highway and still get me around 50 MPG.

DKC

5. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    jet needles

On a side note the jet needles are different for the front and rear cylinders. I've enclosed a specification for the '84 model year.

Stock main jets for the '84 are 102F/105R and the '85 90F/90R. Both have a 32mm throttle bore. The '86 jets are 90F/90R with a 30mm throttle bore.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    well DKC, maybe this explains, not just "who done it" but the motive to?? :thumbsup:

I have 57B California carbs on my '85. The pilot screws all had the tamper resistant caps on them but my carbs had the #90 mains and #35 slow.

Except it ran like flaming dog pooh. It might have ran ok at 6000ft in 110degree heat in the hills above LA but other than that, I couldn't figure out why #90s would be there.

DKC said his manual shows my ride should have had #105's in it from the factory. I put in the 102's and she's a screamin machine. :biggrin:

7. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Keep in mind that this service bulletin is aimed at hot start issues. If your bike isn't having these problems then you should not make these changes. Only one of my 500's has ever had trouble with hot starting, but I know it's been a problem for others.

8. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

The emulsion tubes are different as well:

[​IMG]

9. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    model year carburetor differences

Nice photo!

Is this on the VF500F '84 model year only?

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Mine has the full front fairing, not just the lower scoop like matt runs. She likes to run pretty warm when temps are over 70 so this wouldn't surprise me. That's why I said I didn't see the #90's working unless it was 110 in the mtns above LA (or whatever I said)...

I wouldn't mind finding a lower scoop to swap out for summer riding if I hang on to this bike. I'm also considering cutting a vent into the fairing for cooling and airflow. Their is a mock scoop molded in the fiberglass that could be cut and trimmed out. I'll post pics and start another thread about it before proceeding.

11. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

Based on the fiche, it looks like the 84's were like this, the 85's then went with all four emulsion tubes the same, then in 86 went back to the same as 84. Weird.

12. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    fairing mod

Interesting idea. I look forward to reading the thread. :thumbsup:

13. Cyclone

Cyclone New Member

Well Howdy

I'm new to this forum so go easy.
    Been lookin for a forum to yak about Honda V4's for a while. I've owned a 1987 Honda VF500F2F for the past 13 years. I used to work as a Mechanic for Honda UK preping the test bikes that the MC press would test.

Thought I'd add my pennies worth to the fuel Mileage thread.
    My bikes a stock 1987 VF500F2F, Interceptor to some folk. It has the smaller carbs, milder cam, beefed crank of the last VF500's and a redline set to 11,500rpm. Only changes are front of the tank raised by 1/2 inch, Motad n-Eta silencers and front forks dropped by 10mm.
    I get 50 mpg, thats Imperial gallons (4.546 litres) and around 125 miles +/-1 before she goes onto reserve.
    It does this wether I poodle around town all day, on the motorways or canning it through Europe where there not so anal on speed limits, upto an indicated 135mph.
    The bikes covered 54,000 miles and all I do is service it regular and clean the carb float bowls and emulsion tubes every couple of years.

What I do know is lots of owners take off the airbox intake snorkel. It does give a slight power boost but messes up the delivery, big flat spot around 8,500rpm. The other thing they take out is the airboxes flame trap. Leave it in, it gives smoother torque at lower rpm's.

When fuel consumption drops it usally indicates a problem and one of the biggest culprit's is the diaphragm inside the vacuum fuel cock. This is usually accompanied by a raise in engine temp. You can fix em with a puncture repair kit.

Cheers all
    Cyclone

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for your input Cyclone.

I've seen the snorkle being removed also. I'd much rather leave mine on too.

Lately my mileage has been around 5.5L/100km (about 43-45mpg)

15. thermostate

thermostate New Member

Map
    I got

I got 47 per mile with a total of 148 on main reserve . that was riding at 60- 75 mph ,didnt want to go and get gas later so I filled up and got back on the road soon after.

16. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

I got 6.86 L/100km (34.6 US MPG, 41.5 imp MPG) on my first tank of supreme (13.6L for 196.8km / 122.2 miles ), at the end of the tank the tire pressure was, front: 17psi (of a max 41psi), rear: 33 psi (of a max 41psi), with half highway (6-7k rpm), half city stop and go (4-5k rpm).

From reading through all the posts, proposed solutions for better fuel economy are:
    - check tire pressure
    - try regular fuel if your bike doesn't specifically call for supreme (where do i check this if i don't have a manual for my '85 500?)
    - check engine overall
    - clean carbs
    - repair diaphragm inside the vacuum fuel cock

what about rpm's? does running to low an rpm actually eat up more gas?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  17. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

I broke 200km on the last tank, ended up with something in the low 5L/100km (the average is slowly coming down) with some better driving habbits, topping up the fluids, and keeping an eye on the tire pressure.

you guys should be putting your numbers up on fuelly.com, i'm only the second VF500 on there!

18. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I find using Ethanol free gas helps alot with Mileage as well.

19. krazyderek

krazyderek New Member

20. vfLuvin

vfLuvin New Member

Map
    VF500F fuel mileage

My 85 vf500 went approximately 110 miles before i had to go the gas station but my fuel mileage was much higher than yours. I was averaging around 46mpg. That was with mainly city driving sparingly going up to red line. My bike still isnt running properly as it is a rebuild project for me.