VF700F Questions

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by V4_4lyfe, Aug 30, 2017.

1. V4_4lyfe

V4_4lyfe New Member

United States
    I just bought a 1985 vf700f. She pulls strong to about 95 indicated and then slowly crawls to about 110, at which point she's turning 9 grand and cutting out. I've had it pull 10 grand in 5th once, but that required the assistance of a large hill and good weather. She has no problem pulling to redline in 1st-3rd, and can get there in 4th. I have noticed that she is starting to develop the infamous cam chain tick that early honda v4s were known for. My question is, is this all I should expect out of her, or should I devote some time and money into tuning her up? If so, what should I work on first. And yes, I know going those speeds is not a good idea, and yes, I know that an actual vfr would be faster. Thank you for any help

2. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I first would check air filter, if no record exists of it being attended to.

And absolutely no ethanol fuel.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

V4_4lyfe likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    You gotta hit the basics like Surfer said. BUT... before spending any money, get the valve covers off and verify condition of the cams and rockers.

Oh they are way faster than what you describe.

4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Oh yes they are fast...my friend had one. I will likely never forget the sound of having my helmet inches from the exhaust, as we swept through a high speed curve... beautiful.

5. V4_4lyfe

V4_4lyfe New Member

United States
    I checked the air and fuel filters. Both seemed in ok condition. Didnt dig much deeper but i plan to this weekend. I know the bike was laid down once. Perhaps the lesser performance is a result of that?

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    "And absolutely no ethanol fuel."

What if you have no choice?? (Non in the area)

7. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Allyance I believe I would run StarTron treatment in that case.

8. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    My rule is no storing a bike with ethanol in the fuel. I agree, sometimes there is no choice on what you buy.
    I'd check to make sure there is no rust or sediment in the fuel tank. Also, one or more carb diaphragm above the slides may have a hole in it, or be improperly installed. You may want to confirm fuel pump output, then you may need to look at the carbs. You can use a long screwdriver to drain the float bowls, to confirm the presence of fuel. Download a manual, then use it to troubleshoot and do some maintenance. Start with the easy stuff, ask lots of questions, either here or even at your local dealership. As long as I'm brief and to the point, my dealership is very helpful. Bringing them donuts helps too! It's like paying 5 minutes of shop time.

schrocketeer likes this.