VFR 1200 Fixed!!!!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by alexdig, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Robcio, i'm not sure what the snow situation is like is Metcalfe, but have you put any significant KMS on your bike since the update has been applied?

2. alexdig

alexdig New Member

Details on my VFR fix.

Dont know what to say fellas.
    Dan at Markham Outdoor Power in Ontario in conjunction with Honda Canada fixed my issue. I rode the bike today 25 kms to get my new tires put on.
    I have done over 1000 kms since the counter measure. They re flashed the ECU, changed the plugs...and adjusted the throttle.
    Dan took the time to work through and listen to the issue. I had already engaged the engineering department at Honda Canada and they worked together with Dan on a solution that has worked.
    I have no extra enhancements on my bike....stock manual.
    Dans number is 905-294-2355.
    Go see him!!!

3. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Less then 200km since the update. It didn't take away the restriction. Mine has always run pretty smooth but I still gotta twiddle my thumbs until 5000rpm's or so in the first 2 gears

4. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Alexdig, thanks for chiming in here.

Robclo, thanks for the info. You mention that "Mine has always run pretty smooth"

From what I understand the update is to fix the intermittent stumbling/stalling issue that a small amount of VFR1200 owners were experiencing (like alexdig, myself and mlloyd etc.) Trust me, you will know if your bike exhibits this behavior :)

Based on Robclo's discussion with the service manager, It would appear a certain number of VFR's were running an older version of the ECM software.

I cannot confirm or deny this as my bike has yet to have the re-flash performed, however I am scheduled to get it done for the end of April so I have to imagine I'm running the older software.

The re-flash was never intended to fix the "hole" in the first two gears, as that is by design.

5. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well said.....

6. alexdig

alexdig New Member

Issues

Two completely different subjects.
    I have not yet completed the Rossi training...so twiddling my thumbs in first and second have never been experienced.

I got my bike back...and it runs great.
    Love the bike.

7. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    :) I love it to

8. crazybrother

crazybrother New Member

Are there any Canadian dealers on the Western side that are willing to help us Yanks out? I live in California and would be willing to ride up to Canada to get this done. Anyone know?
    Thanks.

9. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

So I had the VFR1200 out for a ride yesterday with my 12 year old on the back. We pulled up to light I pulled in the clutch to stop and the bike died. I re-started the bike went about 3/4 miles up the road was in 2nd gear going around a corner and the bike began to sputter then accelerated hard almost dumping my child off the back and onto the pavement. This bike is definately an accident waiting to happen. I called Honda and again will be bringing my bike into the dealership. I asked about bringing my bike to Canada for repairs and he advised me it would not be covered under warranty and that Canada has different emissions.

10. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Hi all,

I brought my bike in yesterday to get flashed. The dealership confirmed that my bike did indeed have an older version of the ECM software.

I'm optimistic that this will solve the issue.

I'm going on a 3000kms trip, leaving this Thursday, I figure that should be a good test.

I'll update once I'm back.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  11. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Hope it works for you. Mine stalled three times in traffic in the last 4 days. Paperwork for lemon law has been filed.

12. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Even though we have the same symptoms, your issue seems way more frequent.

With that being said, I'm surprised that the dealer hasn't been able to reproduce the problem on your bike.

Sorry to hear it's come to the lemon law stage.

13. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Yea it seems more frequent than last year, the gear indicator on the display also flashes from a 3 to a - while cruising in 3rd and a 2 to a - if cruising in 2nd. Really odd goes back into the shop tomorrow.

14. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Interesting. I can't say that I've had that symptom. Well I hope for the best, as I'm sure you are doing the same!

15. lshark

lshark New Member

that's interesting because the gear indicator flashes "-" when the kill switch is in off position, it basically turns off the EFI.....hmmmm???

16. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Wow, that is different, haven't heard of that before. Once or twice I've had the "-" pop up while shifting but never on cruise. May simply be a dirty or faulty/loose connection or at worst an ECM. Good luck.

17. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

Dealership had gone through all electrical connections trying to diagnos stalling/stumbling. At least the dealership was able to replicate shift indicator issue during a test ride. I'll keep everyone posted, thanks for all of your input.

18. ytvfr

ytvfr New Member

Canada
    Got back from my trip the other day, and am sad to say that the problem still exists.

I've informed Honda Canada and am waiting on the next steps.

19. mlloyd

mlloyd New Member

I am truly sorry to hear this and can sympathize, mine is back in the shop for malfunctioning gear indicator and stalling stumbling since 5/1/13. Hoping that and my stalling/stumbling issue are related. They were able to reproduce the gear indicator problem however they have not been able to reproduce the stalling/stumbling. In the interim Honda Powersports of America has done nothing but continue to tell me to bring it back. My year warranty is now expired and I have filed my paperwork with the NYS Attorney General for Lemon Law arbitration. Please keep me posted and I will do the same. Anyone else experiencing these issues should step up and do the same.

20. lshark

lshark New Member

how often does it happen ???