VFR 1200 @ Tokyo Motor Show

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by borg, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jcoplen

jcoplen New Member

a few servings of tube steak maybe

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    It doesn't matter what a manufacturer does when they release a new bike, there will always be people accusing them of copying somebody. This is VERY apparent with bikes, cars, jet skis, planes, musicians cell phones, toothbrushes, toilet paper....etc. What I am saying is it is near impossible to release any new product these days without being accused of copying somebody. It is impossible to please everybody, and the accusations will always be there. Some bikes/cars will always remind somebody of something else, that is just the way it will be until we start driving flying cars, then after a few years, the cycle starts again. What came first the chicken or the egg???

3. borg

borg New Member

4. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    This bike is the closest thing I have seen to a transformer since the new Camaro came out. :cool: Does it remind anyone else of a transformer? Maybe its just me. :crazy: I still have mixed emotions about it but well see when one actually arrives at the dealerships. Thanks for all the good info on it....

5. MathewLisett

MathewLisett New Member

hmmm, so you havent answerd my question then have you, or do you not actually know?

6. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Do I smell a BMW troll? Beemer folks sure are sensitive.

My thoughts exactly! I am curious to ride the auto though.

Yes that was wild. :rofl:

7. MathewLisett

MathewLisett New Member

dont know if im reading this correctly

do you mean am i a fan of bmw's and therfore dont want to see the design on the vfr.

if thats correct, then straight away if you havent actually read my posts correctly i have stated i HATE the design not love it, therefore im no beemer folk.

8. jobvfr

jobvfr New Member

All I want to know is how much does it cost???
    I demo'd a k1300s and it was nice, fast and pretty in orange, but 19k!!!! That is way too much for a bike!
    I'm thinking all this tech won't be cheap!
    (I'll take the white one if she comes with it)

9. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    All the speculation points to a $17-19k price tag. Not denying the bike may be awesome and possibly worth the money (haven't ridden one, but the tech is pretty cool), but the 6th gen cost about $10-12k (now, new ones are going for 7k because no one's buying them). How does Honda expect current VFR owners to buy the 7th gen when the price difference is so huge? If we were in the market for an $18k bike, we would have bought BMWs, but we bought VFRs because of the quality and the price. All of the sudden the VFR is competing with the K13000S? Even a used one a few years down the line will cost more than $10K like a used K1300s (probably more like $13k). Right now, if I wanted to I could buy a 2-3 year old VFR for about $5-6k, no problem. That won't be the case with this bike.

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    It's looking like it will be more expensive than the current 6th gen, but you're mixing street price with MSRP. MSRP on the 6th gen is $12K or $13K with ABS. The rumored MSRP on the ABS 7th gen is $15-19K, more expensive for sure but maybe not that much after the initial sales when discounts start kicking in. Still possible it may come in around $14K, it's all guesses at this point.

11. bigben4580

bigben4580 New Member

Underestimated the new VFR?

Uh, sounds more like everyone hit it on the head. It's less powerful and much heavier than it's supposed competition. The peg dragging comments make it sound as if it's not gonna be as sporty either. Luggage will add a good grand to the price of the bike and it's still got a little tank in comparison to the big ST's. And they created something (DCT) that no one was asking for, which probably reminds a lot of people of vtec.

Another quirky bike that doesn't measure up to the comp and costs too much.

Congrats Honda

Woo Hoo

12. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map

Shouldn't you be holding a sign downtown saying "life sucks and then you die?" Or posting something negative in your local newspaper on any heartwarming stories?

If you don't like the VTEC, the VFR1200, or maybe VFR's in general, why are you here? Do you even own a VFR? Plenty of forums for sportier bikes around.

13. borg

borg New Member

cycleworld ride report from sugo japan.

[​IMG]

"As previously noted, however, DCT has introduced a new era to motorcycling."

"I didn't realize that motorcycling was missing out on this technology until I rode the VFR."

"For very aggressive racetrack riding, I favored the manual mode for the reasons previously mentioned. But the automatic system is so intelligent that on a street ride later in the day around the perimeter roads surrounding the circuit, I preferred to allow the bike to make the decisions for me and was very impressed with its execution. On the street, I also got a much better understanding of how the bike performs in real-world conditions. Clutch take-up, for example, was crisp and stutter-free."

read full report:

Cycle World - First Ride: 2010 Honda VFR1200F

14. bigben4580

bigben4580 New Member

I had a 6th gen, may get another one in the future. Nimble for it's size, thrifty on gas and a 6 gallon or so tank. Comfortable enough for a 3 hour ride, good around town, and yet still likes the back roads. The 5th gen I recently rode felt magnificent as well.

I actually like the new vfr, if there wasn't so many other bikes that have improved upon this same equation already. If they would've lost a little weight on the 6th gen and added horsepower it would be perfect. If I want a tourer why do I get this VFR instead of a Connie, FJR (which will probably be updated in the next couple years), ST1300, or K1300GT? If I want a hyperbike why do I take the VFR instead of the ZX14, Busa, or K1300S?

If you put it in either class with the bikes I mentioned it could very well be last of either group.

Pathetic to be such a long time coming.