VFR 2006 Purchased, Need Advice

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by PICLARK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. PICLARK

PICLARK New Member

Hi Guys/Gals,

Complete newbie here. Have just ordered my new VFR (2006, Black) and it's gonna be here in the next 10 days.

Was after a resource/advice where I could look up infomation regarding running in the new machine...if indeed it is required.

Much appreciated...

2. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

It should all be in the owner's manual. Have a read. Ask your dealership as many questions as possible. Enjoy!!!!!

3. litespeed

litespeed New Member

Breaking-in Advice

There's an article in the April 2006 issue of Motorcyclist about new bike prep you might want to check out. Basically, it says to avoid keeping the same throttle position or rpm's, mix up your speeds and gears, shift up and down frequently and slowly bring it up to redline. This will help "seat" the pistons. Always let the engine warm up sufficiently before you place it in gear, to allow for proper circulation of oil. Also, fill the tank up at first so that any anti-corrosive that's been added to the tank is diluted in a large quantity of fuel, and is less likely to gum anything up. The author states that this is what one of the major Japanese manufacturers do to their own test vehicles that they loan to journalists. Good luck!

4. PICLARK

PICLARK New Member

Thanks...

Very useful info, thanks for that. Am aware I can ask the dealer all these questions, but it's always nice to go there informed (so I don't sound like a complete muppet).

Thanks again

PS Bike pickup has been delayed by a week...bummer :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  5. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  6. cycleguy43

cycleguy43 New Member

Map
    6500 rpm Vtech engagement

Tell us how smoothly the vtech kicks in ?? On my 2004 the vtech kicks in at 7000 rpm and sometimes you can feel the bike jerk..

7. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Break-in

Clarkie,

You don't have to be a Shiite in breaking in your new scoot. Follow the recomendations in your owner's manual and you'll be fine.

These newfangled V-Fours are built to pretty exacting tolerances.Anything but true insanity will result in a good break-in.:drum:

8. PICLARK

PICLARK New Member

Delay, one week...boo-hoo

Bike had not made it to the dealer in time, so it looks like I am going to have to wait until this Saturday (1st April) to pick it up. Still it has given me a little more time to look up some gear...

My Draggin' Jeans (combats) and my Shoei (XR1000 Badge) helmet are in the shop now ready to be picked up...all I need now is my VFR (breaks into song 'I want my VFR' in the style of Dire Straits Money For Nothing).

Cheers for the advice regarding breaking in the new machine also...