VFR Carb Issues.....

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by blairmac, May 26, 2018.

1. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    9B7ED01F-0182-4E63-B3E5-24D88DF103B6.jpeg 47835651-F1F7-4815-B928-919344423382.jpeg Hi gang....

Just picked up ā€˜86 VFR #3 - orig owner, 33,000kms, really nice shape as a non-runner. Clutch bleed solved the dead lever so far; tank and all fluids drained and changed nicely. Fresh gas and it fired - but no idle unless on full choke. Plugged Jets probably... so I have the carbs off for cleaning. Jets are gummed up a bit, and soaking now.

But I followed member pictorial on carb cleaning and it shows an air/fuel mixture screw (see first pic) where I seem to have ..... nothing (second pic). Am I missing the screws?

Iā€™m in Canada and bike was bought new in Canada (Toronto).

Cheers
    Blair

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I thought I had the same issue on my ST1100 carbs. The rough casting ports for the screws are present on both sides of each carb, but are drilled and threaded from one side only, so it may look like there are screws missing but they could be on the other side of the carb.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    soaking never does the job completely. you need to put a .010" steel wire clear through the #38 idle jet to be sure it's clean and fully open.

blairmac likes this.
  4. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thx Terry and squirrelman - I did check the carbs again - and low and behold the mixture screws were on the inner side of the carb bodies. Problem solved! And I was lucky enough to find another set of #38 idle jets in a box o' stuff given to me by previous owner - and I did notice that the clean orifices are much larger than the ones I took out and soaked. I'll prob just use the clean ones.

5. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    Here's something interesting - was about to put in the #38 idle jets that came loose with the bike - and noticed the MUCH larger diameter orifice. Photos show comparison between the ones that came out of the carbs (that were soaked and blown clear with air) and the loose ones. Both have "38" stamped on the side with the star. Is the orifice really that big? Or have these loose ones been drilled / messed with etc?

Attached Files:

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    smaller hole looks right. bigger hole, NO WAY :confused: and that's why they weren't installed.

7. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    I figured.... I'll go with the freshly cleaned smaller ones. Thx squirrelman

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OK, Bro. Happy stoichometry !

9. blairmac

blairmac New Member

Canada
    Map
    Squirrelman - ended up ordering 125 mains and 40 idle jets as discussed on other threads here. I was able to find some extra shims for the carb needles at my local dealership in the mechanic's "bucket o' extra stuff" ..... the bike runs fantastic now. Any advice on where I can find some more of the small slide needle shims for my other VFR?