VFR Top Speed is ????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Wu-Viffer, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    How Fast

So, I was wondering how fast these VFR's can go. I nervously hit 125 mph about a month ago, and probably won't try and beat that personal record. I am interested, how fast have some of you taken your VFR? And what generation was it?

2. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    160-170mph on 2nd gen (86' 700F)

3. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    Damn, that's really fast. How old was the bike when you did that?

4. Brit

Brit New Member

What did you do to get that kind of speed out of your bike? I had a 91 ZX11 and she toped about 175.

5. pbrownw

pbrownw New Member

~135 3rd gen, it was not on a highway either, it was on a backroad and definetly not a very straight one.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    155mph indicated. got to 135 pretty fast for a 750, took what seemed to be another 1/4 mile to red line in 6th, Sheesh only got a glance, I mean who in their right mind watch s the speed-o after a 100? saw the needle just under the 160 mark. Weather was as prefect as it can get, so took advantage and held on for a bit. fastest two miles on the ground I've ever done. Wow, If you do the graph thing with gear ratios red line on the 4thG should work out to 152 so all in all was to damn close to get picky. Still was left behind a bit as in the ride I was with a GSXR1000 and a Kawai ZX12R, talk about felling humbled to be able to even hang with those guys, was something as they thought I would have been left way behind :) at the stop they went, wow that bike gots some kick, I just smiled.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I've seen my 5th gen clip around 145 indicated. That's probably all she had.
    (I really doubt any viffer could get 160) No fish stories here.

MD

Old Faithful likes this.
  8. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    After I get above 110, I get a little skittish about looking at anything but the road. I imagine I have taken her to about 125 or so. She still had some breathing room, too.

9. MrDe

MrDe New Member

:lever: I never exceed the speed limit .... that wouldn't be nice ....:eek: But, then again ... :caked: I believe the trees were doin' about 135 .... 6th gen ... silver 05

10. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map

Last summer:smile:

11. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map

Pipe, jets & a bit of ram air effect @ night so air is denser & THE BIGGEST PART I don't even pretend to think the speedo was right I just know what it said the needle was over 160, not quite to 170 but I didn't stare @ it very long. This was also over the course of probably 5 miles balls to the wall, I just glanced down to see how fast I was going before I had to back out of her to make a curve. All promted by some jacka$$ that had been tailgating me for miles(I thought it was an LEO) until he passed me then I was just pissed. Passed his a$$ w/ authority & never let off til I had to out of fear of not making a RH sweeper @ that speed.

I would offer to take it out & reverify but its just to damn cold right now.....LOL.....just to avoid the "fish story" I don't actually think I was going that fast, thats just what the gauge indicated. I do know its very accurate up to 72, if the LEO sponsored radar run was right anyway( it only cost $180 to find that out)

12. JRotten

JRotten New Member

I have had the chance to top out both my and my buddies interceptor. My 2000 yellow screamer ran hard to 150 at SLP at 70 deg and my buddies 02 did the exacally the same. Both were stock and the way the both bikes started to cut out at 150 leads me to believe that there is some sort of speed limiter on stock bikes because redline had not been reached.

One last thing I do know is there is a speedometor error to take to in count for, so I figure 140 would be closer to the actual speed.

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The fastest on my Gen6 '03 was an indicated 151Mph :plane: , legally on the front straight of Eastern Creek, the fastest I've seen indicated so far on my Gen 5 is 140 Mph.

14. green1

green1 New Member

I've only had the VFR up to 240KPH but was supprised how smooth it is at speed.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, they like to run don't they, add in perfect balanced tires no excessive chain slack, nice smooth road weather calm maybe a little on the cool side say 55 and these things feel like they're floating..they have no trouble staying at 10 grand. Done and maintained a lot of blasts in the 120-130 range, seems pretty easy to do. IMO woo hoo

16. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I have had ny 86 VFR upto 140MPH once it is a little squirrelly up there. Imy personal record on the 6 th gen is 145 Mph and there was more throttle to go I believe i was turning 9 000 RPM in fifth gear, I think. it was solid as a rock she felt good at that speed but I was Scared. I regularly hit 110+ just for fun Call me crazy. It is very quick Todd my riding buddy has a tricked CBR1000RR his record is 175. he is very small 5' 4" 139lbs. maybe I'll let him wring her one day. we have a road down here that is a divided four lane and is brailroad straight for about 15 miles or more. on sunday I hear that guys take their crotch rockets out there and wind em up. I wouldn't know anything about it I would never do that heh heh heh. I think the 6th gen will top out at 160 - 170

17. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    148 mph on that boring straight line stretch on I-5 between Sacramento and Redding, don't think she had too much left in her after that...

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ah ha, now I know why you're on that diet LOL

19. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I think I have had mine up around 145 - 150. Had to slow down for the turn tho. But at anything above 100, I am lookin at the road more than my speedometer.

20. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Is that a personal attack? Wait till I tell V-Man :lol: I'm sure the old girl had a little left in her but not much. You will not ever see me exaggerate.

Besides wait till you see the before and after picture on the diet, just a example on how my body's changed, the washer broke down the other day and the wife wanted to use my stomach as a washboard but it was to hard for the delicates...:biggrin: